Hoonigan Purchases a $2,500 Baja Bug Known as the 'ScumBug'
Adding to its interesting stable of project cars, Hoonigan picks up a $2,500 Baja Bug to head to the Baja 1000.
Hoonigan is well known for bringing automotive celebrities and race car drivers to its Donut Garage for episodes of Daily Transmission, but it's also known for its crazy fleet of project cars. One of the project cars, a $300 BMW 3 series affectionately named "Sh!t Car," helped the show Daily Transmission achieve an internet cult-like following. Based on the love Sh!t Car received, the Donut Garage picked up a $200 Mazda Miata that is slowly being transformed into a Death Kart. How does it top those two? By purchasing the cheapest running Baja Bug it could find—the "ScumBug."
Costing a mere $2,500, the purpose for the Donut Garage to obtain the Baja Bug was to head down to the Baja 1000 to follow the race on the chase roads. Originally, it was going to run a couple of Ford Raptors but that plan fell through and Hoonigan obtained the next best thing, a Baja Bug. The Raptor opportunity popped back up but it stuck with the Baja Bug. Hoonigan Vinny Anatra mentioned via Instagram that the ScumBug was more fun to drive than the two Raptors.
The ScumBug had seen better days. The tires had dry rot, the steering had an unsafe amount of play in it, and the brakes needed to be replaced. Shop Foreman at Hoonigan, Dan Sommer was up to the task to get the Baja Bug ready. Co-founder of Hoonigan, Brian Scotto headed to a local parts shop to get a bunch of parts to fix and replacement parts in case anything went wrong at Baja. They all commented on the low cost compared to their normal cars.
The ScumBug is featured in Hoonigan's newest episode of its other series, Field Trip.
For more of the fun, check out Hoonigan's Daily Transmission episode on its Baja Bug below.
- RELATEDFall Deep Into An Auto Vlog Spiral with Hoonigan's Daily TransmissionHoonigan's Daily Transmission series gives you a shot of car in your dayREAD NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Hoonigan Gang Thrash the Hell Out of an Ariel NomadThe Ariel Atom's cousin pays a visit to Hoonigan's HQ to be abused out of its element.READ NOW
- RELATEDLeah Pritchett Brings a 707 Horsepower Hellcat to Hoonigan to Play WithTop Fuel drag racer Leah Pritchett drops by Hoonigan's Donut Garage to hang out with a Dodge Challenger Hellcat.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Two Time-Attack Subaru WRXs Visit Hoonigan and PlayMarkos Mylonas and Sally McNulty of Snail Performance visit Hoonigan's Donut Garage to play around in their WRXs.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch What Happens When Hoonigan Goes to SEMAThe Hoonigan crew tackles the wildest automotive show showcasing one of a kind builds, celebrity cameos, and more.READ NOW