Found on Turo: Halloween Rental-Ready Mystery Machine, Ecto 1, and DeLorean Movie Replicas
Forget last-minute costumes—these will make you the envy of trick-or-treaters everywhere.
If you don't have enough time to prep a slapdash getup for handing out candy bars on October's best holiday but still want to look festive, then we've got a recommendation. Turn your attention to peer-to-peer car rental service Turo, where we've found a few vehicles that'll work as substitutes for costumes or, even better, pair nicely with them.
Our top pick for a Halloween Turo rental is a 2001 Dodge Caravan located in Redwood City, California just south of San Francisco. Its owner has replicated the Mystery Machine from Scooby Doo as faithfully as one can with a Dodge Caravan, a few period-correct mods like underglow notwithstanding. Screens mounted in the back of the front-row captain's chairs (a distinctly early-2000s mod) are linked to a DVD player loaded with discs of the classic Hanna-Barbera cartoon, and if that doesn't tire you of the sound of Scooby bellowing ROOBY-ROOBY-ROO, the horn—which plays the same sound—will.
Nobody has reserved this $89-a-day Dodge for Halloween quite yet, so if you'd rather cruise than hand out candy on Halloween night, you know what to do. Of course, if you would prefer a night in, or don't have enough friends to fill a seven-seat van (we sympathize), there are alternatives for each scenario.
If you spend your Halloween in the general vicinity of Orlando, Florida, there's a replica of the Ecto-1 hearse from 1984's Ghostbusters that you can rent for $292 a day. Unfortunately, that money doesn't mean that you can actually drive the thing; its owner insists that it be used for static display only.
We think that if you're going to spend big on renting a movie replica, you might as well go whole-hog and borrow a faithful clone of the DeLorean DMC-12 from Back to the Future. At $2,500 Canadian ($1,880 USD) a day, though, we won't blame anyone for balking at the price, and just downing $30 worth of spiced rum at home instead.
- RELATEDHertz Will Rent You a 750-HP Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Tuned by NASCAR's Hendrick MotorsportsThere's also a more affordable variant that pumps out "just" 480 horsepower.READ NOW
- RELATEDThere's a Documentary Coming Out About John DeLorean and You Need to See ItFraming John DeLorean follows the eclectic man from rise to fall, including a targeted government sting involving 220 pounds of cocaine.READ NOW
- RELATEDBloody Toyota Supra Crash Halloween Display in New Jersey Sparks Neighborhood FightZombies have feelings too, after all.READ NOW
- RELATEDHearse Carrying Body of Fallen Drag Racer Rockets Down the Strip One Last TimeThe memorial of the Australian racer, who unfortunately lost his battle to brain cancer, welcomed over 1,000 people.READ NOW
- RELATEDAttention Holiday Travelers: The Best Place to Poop on a Road Trip Is a Coffee ShopIf there's one thing I've learned over thousands of miles of road travel, it's that coffee houses are good for more than just a nice cup of joe.READ NOW