Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Will Finally Get Nicer Interiors in 2021: Report
Supposedly, the 2019 Silverado and Sierra featured outdated cabins because they were rushed to market in order to compete with the new Ram.
General Motors' latest full-size pickup trucks aren't all that nice to be in—just ask the critics. When The Drive drove the thoroughly disappointing 2019 Chevy Silverado last year, Lawrence Ulrich wrote, "Hopping straight from Ram into the Chevy was a jarring experience, like a free-fall from a swanky Los Angeles nightclub into GM’s parts-bin dumpster in Detroit." The American auto giant apparently hears these complaints and will reportedly address them for the 2021 model year, but there's said to be an interesting backstory as to why these interiors haven't always been up-to-snuff.
According to a report from Muscle Cars and Trucks citing unnamed sources, the Chevy and GMC trucks simply weren't supposed to come out in 2019. Legend has it, the new-gen Silverado and Sierra were fast-tracked when GM's "competitive intelligence teams" caught wind that Fiat Chrysler would be dropping its fancy new Ram earlier than they expected.
Now, though, the 2021 Silverado and Sierra 1500 will allegedly be treated to much-needed interior updates including a "revamped" center console, bigger infotainment screen, and better overall fit and finish.
These anticipated updates could help the Chevy and GMC to better contest both Ford and Ram, the latter of which has gone over the top with a massive 12-inch infotainment display in its half-ton truck offering. Right now, Chevy could use a change to reclaim its number-two spot in the American pickup sales hierarchy from Ram.
We've reached out to GM ourselves for confirmation or comment and will update this story when we hear back.
- RELATED2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Diesel Beats Ford, Ram for Best-in-Class Fuel EconomyEven with 277 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque on tap, the half-ton Silverado diesel is more fuel-efficient than a V-6 Toyota Camry.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Ram 2500 / 3500 Heavy Duty First Drive: The New King of Giant-Sized Pickup Trucks?Will Ram’s newest HD challenger emerge victorious in today’s cutthroat heavy-duty truck wars?READ NOW
- RELATEDAll-New 2020 GMC Sierra HD Pickup Truck Price Will Be Lower Than Outgoing ModelPopular lower-end models now also offer more features than before, while high-end trims boast high-tech features like a 15-camera system.READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD Faster at 0-60 Than Ram Heavy Duty in 18,000-LB Towing TestDespite producing less torque, Chevy claims the Silverado's higher horsepower and 10-speed transmission equal faster acceleration.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Chevrolet Silverado 3.0-Liter Diesel Makes More Horsepower and Torque Than Ford F-150, Ram 1500It looks like Chevy may have a trump card up its sleeve in the half-ton diesel pickup truck category.READ NOW