Elon Musk Calls Ram 1500's Towing Capacity 'Puny' While Tweeting About Tesla Pickup Truck
Musk, as usual, is setting the bar high for future products—but will the upcoming Tesla pickup meet the hype?
Tesla CEO Elon Musk spent his morning throwing some shade on Ram trucks, calling the vehicle's best-in-class V-8 towing capacity "puny," and presumptuously insinuating that such capacity must be enough to haul materials to build children's toys. The remarks were made in response to another Twitter user's claim that he hauls heavy steel beams every day in his Ram truck.
The 2019 Ram 1500 has a towing capacity of 12,750 pounds, but that's nothing—according to Musk—when compared with Tesla's upcoming pickup. Previously, the CEO has stated that Tesla's all-electric pickup will have a towing capacity of 300,000 pounds.
In case you're getting deja vu over what looks to be a classic Elon statement, you're not alone. Musk has made similar statements before, first targeting Porsche's 350 kW charging capacity by calling it a "children's toy" amid the hype of Tesla's V3 Supercharging stations being announced. Upon release (more than two years after his taunting tweet), Supercharger V3 was announced to have a charging capacity of 250 kW, limited by the Model 3's battery system's voltage. This may be revealed to support higher charge rates later on with the future offering of Tesla's vehicles.
Musk has set the bar very high for Tesla's upcoming pickup, but the real questions should surround just how much it will sustainably tow, and at what cost to the overall range and drivetrain wear. The pickup was said to have been almost ready to tease later this summer.
It has been openly stated that the "cyberpunk" inspired pickup won't be for everyone. If the design language of the pickup, based on the teaser, is deemed to be too futuristic, it's possible that Tesla will push away potential customers. With increasing pressure thanks to Ford's electrified F-150 entering testing and promising startup Rivian capturing the public's attention, Tesla will have to pull off a timely and effective product launch to avoid losing traction in an extremely competitive segment.
- RELATEDElon Musk Shares First-Ever Teaser of Upcoming 'Cyberpunk' Tesla Pickup TruckProblem is, we're not sure what we're looking at.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Ram Heavy Duty Tradesman Is a $33,395 Pickup Truck That Means Serious BusinessIn a world of fancy pickup up trucks with outrageous price tags, the Heavy Duty Tradesman shines as the real go-getter.READ NOW
- RELATEDDodge Ram Driver Busted With $36,000 Worth of Meth Hidden Underneath His TruckHe's since been booked and held on a $10K bond for possession and transportation of the Schedule II stimulant.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Ram 1500 Rebel Quad Cab Review: A Solid Pickup Truck, Held Back Only By Our ExpectationsOur biggest complaints about this short cab, off-road-focused version of the Ram 1500? It's too small inside...and it could be better on road.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew 2019 Ram 1500 North Edition: Tackling Winter in StyleA factory lift, locking rear axle, severe snow-rated tires, and a cool blue exterior will help keep you warm this season.READ NOW