Oh, Please, Please Let This Be a Jeep Wrangler Hellcat
Seriously, Jeep. Hellcat all of the things.
The Easter Safari in Moab, Utah, is like Jeep's own private little auto show. Every year, the automaker whips up a handful of concept vehicles, each cooler than the last, to show off for a few thousand of its most loyal customers and super-fans. We're still jelly-legged from 2015's Jeep Chief concept.
With the Safari only weeks away, Jeep has started teasing the concepts it's bringing this year, releasing a single drawing of each vehicle. There's one called the Crew Chief, which resembles a jacked-up, resto-modded Wagoneer. Also, a Wrangler with the word "Trailcat" scrawled above the fender.
Dear God. Does this mean Jeep is building a Wrangler with a Hellcat motor? Please, please say it does.
Now, a Hellcat-equipped Jeep isn't exactly news. It's been common knowledge for months now that the brand fully intends to build a Hellcat Grand Cherokee in the not-too-distant future. But that mega-potent SUV is expected to go by the name "Trackhawk," not "Trailcat," and will likely be made for annihilating canyons instead of the Rubicon Trail.
FCA's product people are smart enough to know tacking "cat" onto a vehicle's name would send Mopar fans into a frenzy; true Jeep peeps are twice as fanatical as the average Mopar maven. Besides, this wouldn't be the first time Jeep has shoehorned an SRT-made Hemi into the Wrangler for a Moab Safari concept; the Wrangler Renegade of 2011, the Jeep Wrangler Apache of 2012, and the Wrangler Mopar Recon of 2013 all packed 6.4-liter V-8s under the hoods.
So should we expect to see a Hellcat-powered Wrangler at the Easter Safari? We'll know for sure March 19.
- RELATEDDemystifying Willow Springs in a Dodge Challenger HellcatHow did California’s road-racing culture come to be? That question deserves a 707-horsepower answer.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrivers Can’t Keep Their Jeep Grand Cherokees in ParkNHTSA is investigating whether new-fangled shift levers are to blame.READ NOW
- RELATEDHennessey Challenger Hellcat Makes 1,032 Twincharged HorsepowerYo dawg, we heard you like wheelspin.READ NOW
- RELATEDPlease, Jeep, Make the Wrangler Pickup Like ThisEveryone’s dream Wrangler truck is hiding in plain sight.READ NOW
- RELATEDA Chrysler Pacifica SRT Hellcat Minivan Would SlayFCA designer's Instagram tease is cruel and brilliant.READ NOW