Matt Farah's Mustang Police Interceptor-Turned-Track Toy Is for Sale
Foxbody on top, Cobra underneath, and oddity inside, this 1988 Mustang LX is owned by a face that may be familiar to you.
The Mustang in question is a 1988 Mustang LX with the law-enforcement exclusive Special Service Package. According to a Mustang SSP historical site, this package ruggedized the car with oil and transmission coolers and aerospace-grade coolant lines, but also reinforced the backs of its bucket seats and the car's floorpan. In the name of bringing costs down, aesthetic items such as paint striping and creature comforts like air conditioning were withheld.
After six years of service with the California Highway Patrol between 1988 and 1994, this Mustang SSP passed into private hands. Two decades and an engine swap (to a Ford Racing 302-cubic-inch V-8 with GT40-style heads) later, it fell into Farah's hands where it underwent extensive modification and restoration.
A new coat of paint, gigantic fender flares, and HRE forged wheels bring the Mustang's exterior to life, while Recaro bucket seats with wacky upholstery and a less-wonky aftermarket steering wheel make this now 30-year-old car look almost new. It'll drive even better than new, though, owing to an almost comprehensive rear-end swap for the independent suspension from a 2004 Mustang Cobra, and a Torsen mechanical limited-slip differential. All four corners feature Bilstein shocks and springs as well as Cobra disc brakes.
All together, Farah has poured tens of thousands of dollars into the construction of this car, which he has on multiple occasions referred to as a "50,000 dollar Mustang." It'll cost its buyer still more than that because its high bid on Bring A Trailer is already up to $65,000 as of the time of this article. Is Matt making a profit on the car, then? Nope, half the proceeds go to a charity of the buyer's choice. We might recommend Parkinson's charity Drive Toward A Cure.
- RELATEDSteve McQueen Would Want You to Buy His 1945 Willys Jeep at AuctionThis Jeep probably didn't live a cushy life—much like McQueen himself.READ NOW
- RELATEDMarilyn Monroe's Personal Ford Thunderbird Is Going to AuctionThe sleek T-Bird owned by the bombshell actress could become one of the most expensive cars sold in recent history.READ NOW
- RELATEDA 1956 Porsche 356 'Training Chassis' Heads to Auction in AtlantaThe stripped 356 is expected to fetch up to $150,000 at RM Sotheby's Porsche Experience Center event.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Mustang Splits in Half During Illegal Street Racing Crash, Driver Walks AwayRoll cages can save lives. Street racing can end them.READ NOW
- RELATEDFlorida Man Shouts ‘I’m Looting’ While Stealing Cop Car, Gets ShotHurricane Michael has left many desperate for survival basics, but we don't think a stolen police cruiser is a necessity.READ NOW