An Electric Ford F-150 Could Be a Thing—But Probably Not Right Now
Would you buy an EV Ford pickup?
We already know a hybrid F-150 is coming in 2020. But what about an all-electric Ford pickup? When probed about the possibility, the American automaker didn't exactly say no.
Speaking with Business Insider regarding the upcoming hybrid truck, and the absence of an all-electric option a la the company's upcoming crossovers, Ford CTO Raj Nair cited how the battery's heft adversely affects the truck's ability to haul heavy objects:
"In a CUV, you aren't too worried about payload or towing, but it’s very different for a truck. And when you put that number of cells and that much weight into the vehicle, it does cut into payload and towing." According to Nair, a hybrid F-150 actually makes the truck better than before. "We want electrification to be a bonus. One thing that is really advantageous on the hybrid is it also becomes its own power generating source."
Nair adds, however, that a purely electric F-150 isn't completely out of the question. As of right now, a hybrid makes more sense, but, he says, "I would never rule out anything like that."
BI made sure to mention Tesla's intention to introduce a self-driving, presumably all-electric pickup (along with a semi) within the next couple of years. If that takes off, perhaps we'll see a change of tune from the Blue Oval.
- RELATEDFord Confirms Hybrid F-150 Coming Before 2020America's best-selling pickup goes green.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord's Hybrid F-150 May Have a Powered Sliding Platform in the BedThis is a great addition to the F-150, but it's far from new technology.READ NOW
- RELATEDMark Zuckerberg May Have Built Your New F-150Planning on buying a new Ford F-150 soon? Facebook mogul Zuckerberg may have helped assemble it during his trip to Ford's assembly line.READ NOW
- RELATED2017 Ford F-150 Raptor Review: Baja Bad BoyFord's Baja-racing pickup is a wild desert dog, with a sneak-peek version of the Ford GT's V6.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Ken Block Abuse a 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor in the DesertThe Gymkhana master and rally expert took Ford's off-road monster to the sand dunes for some fun.READ NOW