Behold the Newest 2020 Ford Mustang Race Car, Built for NASCAR's Xfinity Series
With entrants in other series like Australian Supercars and IMSA, this is the fifth all-new Mustang race car revealed in the past year.
A fixture of NASCAR's second division since 2011, the Ford Mustang body has remained competitive in the XfinitySseries throughout the 2010s. Claiming wins in six of the last 10 Xfinity races, versus two apiece for Chevrolet and Toyota, the Mustang body and its drivers remain a force to be reckoned with, and things are about to get better for Ford-loyal NASCAR teams.
Ford has announced that it will update its NASCAR Xfinity Series Mustang body for the 2020 season, reinforcing its commitment to the Mustang in NASCAR and motorsport as a whole.
This renewed NASCAR Xfinity body marks the fifth all-new Mustang race car revealed by Ford since August 2018, and joins entries in the top-level NASCAR Monster Energy Cup Series, Australia's Supercars Championship, NHRA Funny Cars, and the turnkey Cobrajet drag race car. All four of these machines have already claimed wins in their respective divisions, and with the dated Mustang Xfinity car proving itself still competitive, success for the renewed Mustang body in the Xfinity series seems a near-certainty.
"Ford and NASCAR have enjoyed a long and storied partnership, and the iconic Mustang has solidified its place within that legacy with an impressive performance in the NASCAR Xfinity Series," said Ben Kennedy, NASCAR's managing director of racing operations and international development. "We're looking forward to seeing what the newest generation of the Mustang will do on the track."
Ford Mustangs or cars built in their silhouettes also compete in GT4 classes internationally, as well as the United States' domestic Trans-Am series. Owners of Trans Am-spec Mustangs have campaigned them successfully at the Pikes Peak International Hill Climb, albeit modified to better suit a high-altitude racing environment.
- RELATED2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 Weighs 223 Pounds Less Than Challenger Hellcat, Leak ClaimsDocuments said to be from the Ford dealers' computer network put the GT500 at 4,225 pounds, which may be porky, but it's still lighter than its rival.READ NOW
- RELATEDMcQueen's 1968 Ford Mustang GT From Bullitt Could Become Most Expensive 'Stang EverOnce thought to be long gone, this genuine classic will head to auction in January 2020 with records in its sights.READ NOW
- RELATED808-HP 2019 Ford Mustang GT 'Gulf Heritage' Is the Most Expensive New 'Stang You Can BuyNashville-based Brown Lee Ford will build "only" 119 of these mega-Mustangs to celebrate the 50th anniversary of Ford's 1969 24 Hours of Le Mans win.READ NOW
- RELATEDNASCAR Star Richard Petty's Plymouth Superbird and Road Runner to Bring Millions at AuctionPetty won multiple races in each car, even taking the 1971 NASCAR title with the storied Road Runner.READ NOW
- RELATEDVideo Shows NASCAR Legend Tony Stewart Punching Rude Fan at Minnesota Dirt TrackYou'd think people would know better than to mess with "Smoke" by now.READ NOW