Watch Hennessey's "Exorcist" 1,000-HP Chevy Camaro ZL1 Scream On the Dyno
Unless it has almost zero power loss, it's making more than 1,000 ponies at the crank.
Hennessey Performance's new 1,000-horsepower Chevy Camaro ZL1 known as "The Exorcist" is, at least on one level, a publicity stunt designed to capitalize on the tsunami of attention being attracted by the Dodge Demon—but it's exactly the kind of publicity stunt we at The Drive love. Taking the 650-horsepower supercharged V-8 of the stock Camaro ZL1 and dialing it up an extra 54 percent likely won't do all that much for performance at legal speeds, but the sheer concept alone is ludicrously cool enough to make up for the lack of practical reasons to add that extra power. (And that's not even mentioning the burnouts.)
But any tuned muscle car worth its salt needs some hard evidence to back up those outlandish numbers. So Hennessey brought The Exorcist over to the dynamometer to see just how much of those reported 1,000-plus ponies are making their way to the massive rear wheels and tires.
And it's 959 of 'em.
The Hennessey Exorcist Camaro ZL1, as it turns out, makes 959 wheel horsepower and 756 pound-feet of torque at the tires. Assuming this Chevy suffers from the usual drivetrain power losses for a modern car of around 10 percent (we know it varies between the single digits and 20 percent depending on the car, we're just using that 10 percent figure as a general ballpark), the Exorcist is likely making close to 1,100 hp at the crank. Will that be enough to whip the Demon when Hennessey inevitably pits them against each other at the drag strip? We'll have to wait and see.
- RELATEDHennessey to Boost Dodge Challenger Demon to 1,500 HP, Because HennesseyWhen 840 horsepower is for chumps.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Hennessey's 1,000-HP Chevy Camaro ZL1 "The Exorcist" Do an Insane BurnoutThe Dodge Challenger Demon may already be in trouble.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE Demolish the NürburgringCan the ZL1 1LE beat the regular ZL1's 7:29 lap time it around the 'Ring?READ NOW
- RELATEDDodge Demon Fans Start Indiegogo Campaign to Give Thousands a Chance to Drive ItOnly 3,300 Demons will be sold—but one group wants to help at least 3,300 more people experience this monster firsthand.READ NOW
- RELATED10-Speed 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1 Only Needs 8 Gears to Hit 180 MPHYep, there's still some pulling power as it flirts with 200.READ NOW