First Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE Sells for $250,000 at Auction
Barrett-Jackson unloads the first customer ZL1 1LE in the name of charity.
Over the weekend, Barrett-Jackson sold the first 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE for $250,000 at its Palm Beach auction. Even though official pricing for the ZL1 1LE hasn't been officially announced, there's no chance it's anywhere close to the quarter of a million dollars this first customer car went for.
Save for the (presumably) yet-to-be-released Z/28, the ZL1 1LE is the most track-ready Camaro that Chevy currently produces. Packing a 650-horsepower LT4 supercharged V8 also found in the Chevy Corvette Z06, the ZL1 1LE has a handful of handy-dandy track tools, including a carbon fiber rear wing, DSSV (dynamic suspension spool valve) dampers, sticky, summer-only Goodyear Eagle F1 tires, and Brembo brakes. Working in concert, these track-spec add-ons help shave three seconds off the ZL1 1LE's time around GM's Milford test track compared to the regular (if you can call it that) Chevy Camaro ZL1.
And while the buyer of this first ZL1 1LE likely paid way over sticker for the supercharged muscle car, the money went to a good cause. Every dollar from this sale reportedly went to The United Way, a charity that focuses on tackling community issues by working with schools, bank, and other local institutions.
- RELATEDThe First Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE Will Be Auctioned Off for CharityMake sure your checkbook is ready.READ NOW
- RELATEDChevy Camaro ZL1 Is the Performance Muscle Car to BeatTake your pick from a half-century of muscle cars: None will outperform the supercharged, 650-horsepower Camaro ZL1.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Giant 2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE Photo GalleryBecause we can't stop staring at Chevy's latest 650-horsepower track weapon.READ NOW
- RELATEDJeff Gordon Talks Driving the 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1The racing legend spoke with Lawrence Ulrich about pacing the Daytona 500 in Chevrolet's 650-horsepower muscle car.READ NOW
- RELATEDChevy Camaro ZL1 Road Trip to Daytona: 6 First ImpressionsThe ultimate, 650-horsepower Camaro is the perfect delinquent for Daytona hijinks.READ NOW