2018 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE Posts Blazing 7:16.04 Nurburgring Lap Time
Is it even fair to call it a muscle car anymore if it's quicker than a Ferrari 488 GTB?
For perspective, that's quicker than notable non-muscle cars like the Ferrari 488 GTB, Nissan GT-R, and the Mercedes SLS AMG. Not only that, the oddly-named ultimate Camaro is knocking on the door of veritable 'Ring specialists like the Lexus LFA Nurburgring Package and the Porsche 911 GT3. Not bad for a starting price of just $69,995.
Of course, Chevrolet is really stretching the definition of a "muscle car" with the ZL1 1LE. The massive 6.2-liter, 650-horsepower V8 certainly fits the part, but the track-focused Camaro also features an upgraded aero kit, a whole host of lightweight carbon fiber parts, and an advanced adjustable Multimatic DSSV suspension system.
Semantics aside, the record lap is undeniably impressive. The ZL1 1LE was 13 seconds faster (and three letters longer) than the regular Camaro ZL1 around the Nurburgring, but the onboard footage shows that performance boost didn't come easy. It's a wild ride as Camaro engineer Bill Wise repeatedly goes one-handed to wrangle the beast's old-school, six-speed manual transmission. Check out the full video below.
- RELATEDThis Chevy Camaro ZL1's Exhaust Was So Loud It Set Off the AirbagsAdmittedly not the most common side effect of straight pipes.READ NOW
- RELATEDChevy Camaro ZL1 1LE Extreme Track Performance Package Dominates Race TracksThe new package costs $7,500 bringing the 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE to $69,995.READ NOW
- RELATED10-Speed 2017 Chevy Camaro ZL1 Only Needs 8 Gears to Hit 180 MPHYep, there's still some pulling power as it flirts with 200.READ NOW
- RELATEDFirst Chevy Camaro ZL1 1LE Sells for $250,000 at AuctionBarrett-Jackson unloads the first customer ZL1 1LE in the name of charity.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Hennessey's "Exorcist" 1,000-HP Chevy Camaro ZL1 Scream On the DynoUnless it has almost zero power loss, it's making more than 1,000 ponies at the crank.READ NOW