Climb Inside Jim Glickenhaus's SCG 003 for a Nurburgring Hot Lap
And enjoy the ride, 'cause you'll never come close to matching it in real life.
Here's something to keep in mind while watching this ride-along video of Felipe Fernández Laser lapping the Nurburgring Nordschleife behind the wheel of Jim Glickenhaus's SCG 003 Competizione race car: You will almost certainly never lap the 'Ring as quickly as this in your life.
It doesn't matter how many times you practice it on Gran Turismo in a Formula One car. It doesn't matter how many times you travel to Germany and ride along with the 'Ring taxi drivers to try and pick up tips of the track. It doesn't matter how many times you drive your own car onto the track and try to learn its ins and outs. It doesn't matter if you buy a Lamborghini Huracan Performante, close the track down, and hire Marco Mapelli—the same guy who set the 6:52 Nurburgring Nordschleife production car lap record in that car—to drive you around as fast as he can.
Incredibly enough, SCG may someday release a video of an even faster Nurburgring lap. Last year, Glickenhaus told Road & Track that the street version of the car could theoretically lap the 'Ring in six and a half minutes on street tires. That version will pack a twin-turbo V8 making more than 750 horsepower, and still weigh in at less than 2,900 pounds. And unlike the SCG 003C below, it should be eligible for the production car lap record.
Be afraid, sports car makers. Be very afraid.
- RELATEDJim Glickenhaus’s Supercar Could Lap the Nurburgring in 6:30—On Street TiresThe SGC 003S packs a ton of power, a ton of downforce—and barely more than a ton of weight.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Lap the Nurburgring 12 Seconds Faster Than Its PredecessorThe refreshed GT3 can lap the Nordschleife in 7:12.7.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Mini Lap the Whole Nurburgring Nordschleife on Two WheelsHis lap time was only about 38 minutes behind the Porsche 918 Spyder.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the Chevy Corvette ZR1 Run the Nurburgring in 7:30…With TrafficThe pride of America isn't afraid to take the 'Ring by storm.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a BMW M235i Race Car Driver Go Crazy After Nurburgring CrashThis VLN driver was having none of it.READ NOW