Nio EP9 Electric Supercar Sets Nurburgring Lap Record of 6 Minutes, 45.9 Seconds
That obliterates the previous production car 'Ring lap record...assuming it counts as a production car.
Well, that came out of nowhere. On Friday, the Nio EP9 electric supercar blasted clean through the existing production car lap record at the Nurburgring Nordschleife, according to a press release issued by the company, setting a 'Ring lap time of 6:45.9. Six minutes and 45.9 seconds.
The Nio EP9's claimed lap time—assuming it's accurate, which with 'Ring times, is always something to take with a grain of salt—makes it 6.1 seconds quicker around the Nurburgring than the Lamborghini Huracan Performante, which set a new production car record of 6:52.01 at the track. It also makes it almost 20 seconds faster than the supercar's previous 'Ring lap of 7:05.12, which was still quick enough to net it the fastest electric car lap title at the 12.9-mile German racetrack.
Assuming the EP9's record is indeed legit, that would make this 1,342-horsepower electric supercar the fastest production car to lap the 'Ring in history...assuming, of course, that the EP9 counts as a production car. Which largely comes down to the definition of production car. Considering the car is indeed street-legal and intended for consumer sale—the company has already made six, and intends to sell another 10 copies—we're inclined to say it counts.
In case you need a refresher, the Nio EP9 achieves its remarkable speed through the use of four electric motors, delivering a full megawatt of power; the company claims the supercar can also pull 2.5 g's in the turns and brake with enough force to rival the forward acceleration of a space shuttle launch. If those bold claims are indeed independently verifiable...yeah, we could see how it could whip the 'Ring in six-and-three-quarter minutes.
- RELATEDNio to Sell 10 Additional 1,360-HP EP9 Hypercars for $1.48 Million EachFor when you need to lap the 'Ring in 7:05 without burning a drop of gas.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the 1,360-HP Nio EP9 Set a Nurburgring Record for Electric CarsA 7:05 lap makes this battery-powered car quicker around the 'Ring than some serious heavy metal.READ NOW
- RELATEDElectric Car Startup Nio Announces ES8 Production SUVNio, a new electric startup from China, announces its new SUV—and leaves us with more questions than answers.READ NOW
- RELATEDClimb Inside Jim Glickenhaus's SCG 003 for a Nurburgring Hot LapAnd enjoy the ride, 'cause you'll never come close to matching it in real life.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch the 2018 Porsche 911 GT3 Lap the Nurburgring 12 Seconds Faster Than Its PredecessorThe refreshed GT3 can lap the Nordschleife in 7:12.7.READ NOW