We Chauffeured Two IndyCar Drivers in a $196,000 Mercedes-Benz Maybach
Josef Newgarden and Marco Andretti needed to get to a New York Fashion Week show. We had just the chariot.
The Mercedes-Benz Maybach S600 is a formidable goliath for the wealthy who want to be stealthy. From the outside, it looks sedate, like an elongated S550. On the inside, however, first-class seats await backseat passengers. Fully reclining, Napa-leather wrapped beds envelop occupants, ready to heat, cool or massage with the press of a button. The fantastic air suspension system enables the car to glide over the road, severely mitigating pesky potholes and road blemishes lesser cars would shudder over. And lastly, under the bonnet, a prodigious 6.0-liter twin turbo V12 generates 523 horsepower and more than 600 lb-ft of torque. This hulking force of 5,300 pounds will tear to sixty in a positively goofy time of 4.8 seconds.
If there's anyone who knows about going fast while effectively laying down, it's an IndyCar driver. (That's how to describe the sensation of pushing an IndyCar around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.) When we heard drivers Josef Newgarden, of Ed Carpenter Racing, and Marco Andretti, of Andretti Autosport, were coming into New York to attend a fashion show, we asked if we could chauffeur them in style. They readily agreed. Below, some of the highlights from our drive earlier this week.
For a tour inside the Mercedes-Benz Maybach S600, click here. Watch the final IndyCar series race, the GoPro Grand Prix of Sonoma, this Sunday, September 18 at 6:30 pm (ET) on NBCSN.
- RELATEDBMW Wants Some of That Maybach MoneyBavarians plan on whipping up Maybach-fighting ultra-luxe rides.READ NOW
- RELATEDFrom Mercedes-Maybach, a Gullwing Vision of a CoupeAhoy, billionaires: Your mega-yacht has docked at Pebble Beach.READ NOW
- RELATEDIs a Mercedes-Maybach SUV Coming?Benz's corporate brass hint at big things during an interview at the New York Auto Show.READ NOW
- RELATEDHere's a Better Look At the Vision Mercedes-Maybach 6 Pebble Beach ConceptTurns out this fashionable coupe packs gullwing doors.READ NOW
- RELATEDDid Mercedes-Benz Just Tease a Maybach Coupe on Instagram?Carmaker drops a gorgeous image, offers cryptically few details.READ NOW