Best Car Microfiber Towels: Clean Your Car without Worry
These are the best microfiber towels that won't damage your vehicle's exterior
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Getting a clean finish on a vehicle takes the right tools and cleaning solutions. While the right polish or wax is an important consideration, the right applicator will keep you from scratching the surface of the vehicle. Microfiber towels are a popular option since they are soft and absorbent enough to clean a vehicle without damaging the finish. For the best microfiber towels for your vehicle, check out our top picks below.
This set of three microfiber towels is perfect for drying your car. Each towel measures 22 by 30 inches. They have a waffle texture pattern to the weave.
- These towels can absorb up to double the amount of water that a regular towel can
- You’ll also need to wring them out less often
- These towels are some of the most expensive on the market
- You’ll also need to be careful when drying them so they don’t get dirty and scratch your car the next time you use them
A pack of multi-colored microfiber car towels that offer a good balance between budget-friendly pricing and decent performance.
- The surface is extremely soft and does a good job of resisting marking up the car's surface while polishing or waxing a vehicle
- The towels are small and may not absorb as well as some rival brands
- They may also leave lint behind
A premium microfiber towel from one of the top names in the car detailing industry.
- High-quality materials and construction that absorbs and holds a lot of water while drying the exterior of a vehicle.
- Lint can get left behind on the vehicle's exterior after some use
- Some paint styles make it difficult to slide the towel across the surface quickly
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Microfiber Towels for Cars
- They're reusable. Microfiber towels have the ability to retain a lot of water, but that doesn't affect their construction. You can use them over and over again, which can save you money.
- They're durable. Many automotive enthusiasts use microfiber towels when detailing their vehicles because they are long-lasting and can be washed numerous times. They're ideal for painted and glass surfaces.
- They won't harm your vehicle's surface. The best microfiber towels are designed to be streak- and spot-free. Rougher materials may scratch your vehicle's paint and leave lint behind.
Types of Microfiber Towels for Cars
Many microfiber towels feature a waffle texture with small depressions on the cloth. They are very absorbent because they have higher surface areas and are great to use after you've washed your vehicle. You can also use waffle microfiber towels to clean areas such as the tires and chrome.
Towels with a suede microfiber texture are ideal when you're polishing your car, truck, or SUV. They have a smooth and satiny feeling and are perfect for polishing metal and chrome items on your vehicle. Ultimately, it's a personal preference when it comes to waffle or suede-style microfiber towels.
Medium and Long Pile
If you want to remove wax, look for a medium pile microfiber towel. They can also be used to remove water and are best for basic cleaning. They're not designed for delicate surface areas. Long pile towels are the softest and are ideal for buffing. They are very absorbent and will shine up a finish without scratching it.
Meguiar's, based in Irvine, Calif., is well known in the industry due to its over 100-year commitment to automotive excellence. It designs products for every automotive surface, including paint, wheels, tires, and interiors. We recommend the Meguiar's X2000 Water Magnet Microfiber Drying Towel (3 Pack).
California-based Chemical Guys is a popular supplier of automotive detailing supplies. The company manufactures high-quality waxes, coatings, polishes, and sealants as well as this Chemical Guys Woolly Mammoth Microfiber Dryer Towel.
Detailer's Preference, based in Simi Valley, Calif., produces a wide variety of detailing products, such as sheepskin mitts, buckets, and microfiber towels like Detailer's Preference Premium Thick Super Absorbent Wash and Detail Microfiber Towels.
Microfiber Towels for Cars Pricing
- $15-$30: Generally, the price of microfiber towels is based on the number of towels included in the set. The more towels you get, the more money you will spend.
Generally, thicker microfiber towels are better for car detailing. They absorb more wax and polish and are less likely to leave streaks behind. Some towels are measured in grams per square meter (gsm). Lighter towels have a lower gsm and tend to be the least expensive. Those with around 200 gsm are fine for towel drying a vehicle.
You can find microfiber car towels in a variety of sizes, but the best ones for detailing are between 12 by 12 inches to 16 by 27 inches (or the size as a hand towel). Smaller, more lightweight towels are best for cleaning a vehicle's interior as well as its mirrors and windows. Use larger towels for the exterior surface.
Most microfiber towels are 80 percent polyester and 20 percent polyamide, so they are soft and absorbent. Those with a higher level of polyamide are more absorbent, while those with more polyester are more likely to leave lint behind. Most brands are very careful about the composition and the ability of the towels to remove dirt and debris.
- Quantity: If you detail your vehicle on a regular basis, you may want to buy a value pack with several towels included. That way, you won't run out when you're in the middle of cleaning. Some packs have three to six towels, while others may feature 12, 50, or more. You'll save more money if you buy in bulk.
- Quality: Yes, the old "you get what you pay for" adage can apply to something as simple as microfiber towels. Drive editor Tony Markovitch found this out the hard way when he bought a large package of Amazon Essentials microfiber towels; his paint did not take kindly to their treatment.
- Ease of Use: The main purpose of a microfiber towel is to clean a vehicle's surface area without leaving streaks or marks behind. The towel should be easy to use and not make your job harder than it should be. The best microfiber towels quickly and easily absorb water and are easy to wring out.
- Color: Professional car detailers are sticklers when it comes to organizing their cleaning supplies. The benefit of color-coding your microfiber towels is that you won't accidentally transfer one product onto the wrong towel. Microfiber towels are available in a variety of different shades, depending on your personal preference.
Best Microfiber Towels for Cars Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- If possible, have an assortment of towel sizes on hand for different projects. The different sizes will come in handy for different parts of the vehicle.
- A high-quality microfiber towel will resist tearing or ripping after a few uses.
- Each towel manufacturer uses slightly different materials for their microfiber cloth surfaces, so test a few out before buying one to get a sense of how each one performs.
Q. Why can't I use a regular towel to clean my vehicle?
You can! No one will stop you. However, normal towels are too hard on delicate body panels. Using a microfiber towel, on the other hand, won't scratch the surface because the material is soft.
Q. How absorbent should a microfiber towel be?
There is no specific amount, but the towel should avoid just pushing the water around as you clean the surface.
Q. Should I buy microfiber towels in bulk, or opt for quality over quantity?
If you're not much concerned with your paint job and just want something fast and efficient, feel free to buy in bulk. However, if your car is your baby, we highly recommend choosing a quality, brand-name microfiber towel. As with anything else, you do get what you pay for.
For the best of the best (and a few extra towels), we recommend checking out the Meguiar's X2000 Water Magnet Microfiber Drying Towel (3 Pack).
Another great microfiber towel option is the Sinland 720gsm Ultra Thick Plush Microfiber Car Cleaning Towels.