LAST UPDATED: March 22, 2019
Best Car Dusters: Keep Your Car Dust-Free
These top car dusters will keep your vehicle dirt, dust, and pollen-free
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON March 22, 2019
If having a clean vehicle inside and out is a priority, you probably should invest in a car duster. A buildup of dust or pollen is not only unsightly, but it can also affect your vehicle's performance by getting into the air vents. The ultimate car duster will make car cleaning simple and keep your vehicle nice and tidy looking. Check out our car duster buying guide below for the best car dusters on the market.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Why Buy Car Dusters?
- Eliminate interior dust. A quick and simple way to keep your car free of dust is by using a car duster. Simply swipe it across the dashboard and other areas to remove the unwanted particles.
- Clean more than with a simple cloth. When you use a piece of cloth for dust, it usually moves the debris to another area of the car. A duster picks up the debris and removes it completely.
- Keep your interior from fading. You need to get the places a normal car wash can't. If you use an ordinary duster or brush, the surface area may fade in time. A regular duster can also scratch the dashboard, center console, and other interior spots.
- Avoid a lot of vacuuming. If you use a car dust remover on a regular basis, it eliminates the need to vacuum all the time. The duster will remove particles that otherwise could end up on the floor and seats.
- Avoid messes. While soap and water can effectively clean your vehicle inside and out, it can be messy. Avoid drips, splatters, and spills by using dash dusters instead.
- Get to hard-to-reach spots. While a vacuum is effective for the seats and carpet, it's tough for cleaning areas such as cup holders, air vents, door pockets, and other small spaces in the vehicle.
Types of Car Dusters
Microfiber dusters use a synthetic material that contains an electrostatic charge. This enables them to attract and catch dust, pollen, lint, and other tiny particles. Microfiber car dusters are soft and unlikely to mark up a surface area. Soft microfiber dusters with tendrils are particularly effective because they can trap more particles than a flat cloth. They are also more easy to move into small corners of the vehicle.
Some dusters are made of waxed cotton, including the California car cleaner. There is little difference between a California car duster versus microfiber. They generally resemble microfiber fingers, but they are made of a slightly different material. They both remove dust and debris from a surface area by trapping it. Waxed cotton dusters cannot be washed.
The priciest dusters on the market tend to be made of lambswool. Historically, many people used this type of material to remove dust; however, it is generally not as effective as more modern fabrics such as microfiber and cotton. Lambswool has an inherent magnetic charge. Lambswool dusters may not work as well in tiny spaces as their counterparts.
Compressed air dusters are intended for areas of your home, office, or car that are hard to reach using a traditional duster. They are useful for electronic devices, such as keyboards, and other tech items. In a car, they are handy for cleaning the areas around knobs and buttons. They are useful but aren’t an equal replacement for a microfiber or cotton duster.
Top Brands of Car Dusters
The Original California Car Duster
The Original California Car Duster is headquartered in Chatsworth, California, and was founded in 1989 by Jim and Loraine DeFrank. The company is still family-owned and operated. Its products are sold online and in specialty retailer/auto parts stores around the world. One top product is the Original California Car Duster, which is created out of durable cotton fibers.
Headquartered in Carson, California, Carrand Companies was founded in 1982. It produces over 200 different cleaning tools for cars and at home. One of its top products is the 93007 Pacific Coast Car Duster.
SENHAI Technology Co., Ltd.
Senhai was founded in 2012, and its major parts factory is located in China. The company focuses on electronic products research, manufacturing, and marketing. One of its popular products is the Mini Duster for Car Air Vent.
Car Duster Pricing
- Less than $10: Car dusters that are this inexpensive tend to be lower quality and less effective than pricier products. However, some are sufficient and intended for specific areas such as air vents.
- $10-$20: It is possible to find a decent-quality duster in this price range. They typically do the job well.
- $20 and up: Many good-quality car dusters cost between $20 and $30. They are usually very effective at removing dust and pollen from a vehicle's interior and exterior surfaces.
Telescopic, Extendable Handle
If you have a large truck/SUV or have trouble bending/moving due to a physical ailment, you may want a duster with a telescoping handle. It will allow you to reach several areas of the vehicle much more easily. Telescopic handles are also effective on tall cars with high roofs. Plastic and metal are common materials instead of a more traditional wooden handle.
Removable or Disposable Head
A few dusters come with a detachable or removable dusting head. This allows you to clean or replace the mop head once it wears out from use. This type of duster is typically used for the home rather than for a vehicle.
- Performance: Ideally, a car dusting mop will remove the dust with one swipe over a particular surface area. You don't want a product that simply moves the dust from one spot to another or just releases it into the air. The best car duster will trap the dust until it is shaken off or washed.
- Durability: A car dust remover should be made of materials that ensure its longevity. In addition, it should be manufactured in a way that prevents it from falling apart. If you purchase a duster that isn’t made well, it's more likely to fail, requiring you to purchase an additional duster.
- Versatility: The best car duster brush can also be used for other purposes. If you like keeping your home dust free, for example, a good car duster can help. The best car interior duster can also clean kitchen counters, dining room tables, coffee tables, dressers, and other areas in your house that are prone to collecting dust.
- Size: Car dusters come in a variety of sizes, from small to extra large. Tinier dusters are useful for detailing a vehicle's interior. Larger dusters are more suited for removing particles from the exterior surface area. Make sure to look at the dimensions of the duster before ordering it online.
- Shape: Dusters come in a variety of shapes, from long and narrow to round, square, or cylindrical. Long, narrow dusters enable you to access hard-to-reach spots. On the other hand, it may take you longer to clean an area of your car's interior using a square or rounded duster.
Best Car Dusters: Reviews & Recommendations 2020
The Ultimate Car Duster has a 16-inch-by-6-inch, 360-degree electrostatic microfiber dusting surface that clings to dirt and dust. It's one of the larger dusting products on the market and includes a plastic case for storage. The company has a 100-percent satisfaction guarantee, and you can return it if you're not happy with the product.
The duster removes particles without leaving lint behind. It does not leave behind streaks or waxy residue like some competitor products do or scratch the surface. The high-quality, padded handle makes it comfortable to use, and the extendable, telescoping handle is strong. It works well on black vehicles, which often show every speck of dust.
However, the duster has been known to unravel or fall apart after a couple of months of use. Its performance cleaning small debris also leaves something to be desired since it just pushes dust around as opposed to removing it.
For a good value duster, consider this microfiber duster from Vozada. The super soft fiber will not damage paint or finish, and it will leave your vehicle dust- and lint-free. It is durable and also washable, so you can reuse it.
The duster has a handle that extends, so you can reach areas of your car or truck without having to stretch as far. The handle also has a foam grip for safe and easy manipulation. When you’re finished dusting, you can retract the handle and store it easily in a small space.
You can use this duster for interior as well as exterior spaces on cars, trucks, SUVs, motorhomes, RVs, and boats. It’s not limited to vehicle use. You can also use it in the home on dressers, kitchen counters, leather furniture, and more.
However, there are some drawbacks. The head may fly off the handle when shaking it out. Also, some users don't think the duster picked up enough dust.
When used on the exterior, this duster does not smear, streak, or damage the paint. It removes dust as opposed to just moving it around and works better the more you use it. It easily wipes away dust and pollen from black vehicles and on wind-borne dust or rain-splatter dust. It's perfect for a quick dusting between washes.
The non-toxic California Car Duster won't scratch your vehicle's finish. Spray waxes and other cleaning fluids are not required. The duster weighs about 1.5 pounds and is 25 inches by seven inches by three inches wide. A storage bag is also included.
However, the duster requires a break-in period. It may leave a wax film or tiny red fibers on your vehicle if you don't follow the instructions about using it for the first time. If you're cleaning your entire car inside and out, your hand may ache because the wooden handle isn't very comfortable.
Among all the OXO kitchen utensils and cleaning accessories, there's a handy item you can use for cleaning your vehicle. The hand duster is ideal for maintaining the car's interior, especially when it comes to picking up dust and dirt. Thanks to the slim profile and large head, it's incredibly efficient and easy to use.
The slim profile allows you to handle the duster with ease and move it around effortlessly. It also gives you an option to get to those hard-to-reach areas. On the other hand, the big microfiber head covers large surfaces, so you can finish the entire cleanup rather quickly.
Overall, the duster is well made and durable. Even more important, it’s soft and doesn't leave scratches on the surface. Thanks to the non-slip grip, it's easy and comfortable to use. You can also put it in the washing machine thanks to the detachable handle.
What can be a drawback of this product is its tendency to leave red fibers behind. Although it's not that noticeable, finding any residue after cleanups might be annoying. Another minor inconvenience in regards to the cleaning process is that it might be challenging to shake off the collected dust. You'll probably need to wash the duster frequently.
If you're looking for a small duster to reach tight spaces and keep it within hand's reach during a ride, this is a good option. The Original California Car Duster Company offers a handy little accessory that is very efficient in removing dirt and dust. It's also super easy to use and highly portable, so you can keep it with you during every ride.
The duster can be used not only for cars but also furniture, appliances, and other items. It's especially useful for cleaning small items and tight spaces. The wax-treated fibers are efficient in collecting dust without leaving any scratches on the surface. Overall, the duster is non-toxic and safe to use on a variety of materials. That allows for quick cleanups and a wide range of applications.
The thing to keep in mind with this duster is that it does leave small red fibers behind. This gets better after the first few uses, but it's still an inconvenience. Some users also complained about receiving a duster with a lot of excess oil. The wax-treated fibers might leave residue on the surface if not removed before use.
O-Cedar offers a convenient little set you can use around your house and for cleaning your car's interior. There are two dusters included in the package, and both of them efficiently collect dirt, dust, and even moisture.
The dusters are made of soft microfibers that efficiently pick up residue and are safe for all kinds of surfaces. One of the dusters is super fluffy and ideal for general cleanups, while the other one is more suitable for deep cleanups, both wet and dry. The best thing about these two accessories is the fact that they can cover large areas quickly without leaving scratches and residues. They also come with an adjustable handle that extends from 24 to 49 inches, so you can use both dusters to reach tight and distant areas.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind with this set, though. First, the handle is not very long, so if you need a duster for something other than cleaning your car, you'll need to buy a longer one. Second, a lot of users complained about the flat duster not being compatible with the pole extender. You'll have to make some modifications in order to use it.
The Carrand duster is designed for quick and easy cleanups. It's ideal for drivers who need handy accessories for interior cleaning, but it's also useful for an array of other applications. You can use it inside and outside your home, workshop, and many other areas. You can even take it with you on the road.
The duster has specially treated fibers that pick up and remove dust in a breeze. It also features a long handle that allows you to reach tight and distant areas. Overall, the duster is easy to maneuver, use, and clean. The materials are safe and very durable, so you'll be using the accessory for quite some time. It includes a bag for keeping the duster safe during transportation and storage.
However, be aware that the duster does leave some red lint behind. It's almost negligible and stops after the first few uses, but it's still an inconvenience that is hard to overlook. Also, the fibers are a little stiff. Make sure not to apply too much pressure when using the duster because you might scratch the surface.
This is a convenient little duster suitable for cleaning dashboards, vents, and other delicate areas inside your vehicle. It's also handy for other tight spaces and items that require careful handling. With it, you’ll be able to finally get to those distant areas and clean stubborn stains and residue.
The duster picks up dust and dirt rather efficiently without leaving any scratches. It's safe to use on all kinds of surfaces, so you don't have to worry about applying too much pressure during cleanup.
What makes this item handy is a dual-sided head that offers more precision. There's also an ergonomic handle that provides more comfort on extended use and allows for a firm grip. Overall, the duster is well made, durable, and easy to use.
The duster might be smaller than expected, though. It's more suitable for hard-to-reach areas and tight spaces as opposed to large areas. If you need something to clean large surfaces quickly, you might want to look elsewhere. Also, the duster might shed a little, especially after the first few uses. It’s not excessive and won’t ruin the cleanup, but it’s still bothersome.
Tips & Advice for Car Dusters
- A cheap car duster of inferior quality may actually damage your vehicle when used either in the interior or on the exterior paintwork. Consider spending a little more for a better product.
- If a car duster is made of second-rate materials, it may not effectively do the job. Avoid paying extra for a second car duster by purchasing a well-made one in the first place.
- Use gentle sweeping movements on glass surfaces in order to avoid scratching or damaging the area. In addition, make sure the glass is dry before using the duster to avoid streaks.
- If you use the duster on the mirrors in your vehicle, make sure they are properly adjusted after you are done dusting. They may move while you are cleaning them.
- Before each use, twist and shake the duster so any lint, particles, or excess pieces of fabric are released. Then you can expect a smoother, dust-free experience.
- A cotton wax duster often requires some prep before using it for the first time. Consider sitting it on cardboard or on newspaper to absorb the excess paraffin wax before dusting your vehicle.
Q: Can I use a car duster on glass?
A: A car duster that is made of soft material can be used on glass surfaces, such as the windshield, rearview mirrors, or side mirrors.
Q: Do I need to use a cleaning solution with the duster?
A: Most car dusters do not require cleaning solutions or detergent to work effectively. Using a cleaning solution may actually scratch or damage the surface area.
Q: How do I clean a car duster?
A: Some car dusters, including those made of microfiber or waxed cotton, can be cleaned by simply shaking them outside the vehicle or into a garbage can. Others can be cleaned in a washing machine. Some have heads that you can remove and replace with new ones.
Q: How do I avoid streaks?
A: Moisture trapped in the car duster or on the surface area you are cleaning may result in streaks. Both the duster and the surface must be completely dry before you attempt to clean the area.
Q: Will a car duster pick up dog hair?
A: Most car dusters are not equipped to pick up dog hair due to their construction. It's better to use a handheld vacuum, dryer sheets, or use a rubber glove on the surface area to remove dog hair.
Our top pick for the best car duster is the Ultimate Car Duster by Relentless Drive. It is soft, well-built, and picks up dirt, dust, and pollen in one swipe. It also features a telescoping handle.
If you're looking for something a little less pricey but very effective, consider the Vozada Microfiber Car Duster.