Man Killed in Boston Crash When His Audi A8 Goes Airborne, Hits Roof of Tunnel
19-year-old Yao Cao was determined to be dead at the scene; a female passenger was taken to the hospital.
A college student was killed and his female passenger injured early Sunday morning in Boston when his Audi A8 launched into the air and struck the roof of a tunnel on the Massachusetts Turnpike, according to the Massachusetts State Police.
The man has been identified by the state police as 19-year-old Yao Cao. A statement from the acting president of Suffolk University said Cao, who hailed from Changchun, China, was a freshman at the Boston-area college, according to The Boston Globe. Authorities determined he was dead at the accident scene. His passenger, who has not been identified, sustained non-life-threatening injuries in the accident, police said.
Preliminary investigation suggests Cao's 2013 Audi A8 was traveling east on Boston's Route 90 near exit 22 when the car went airborne at around 2:15 a.m., colliding with the roof of the tunnel. High speed and impairment are believed to have been components in the crash, police said.
- RELATEDDid Boston's Mayor Just Doom the New England Patriots to a Watery Grave?"Fire up the duck boats," Mayor says. What could possibly go wrong in these terrible death machines?READ NOW
- RELATEDMassachusetts Snow Plow Operator Fired for Blocking Driveway On PurposeThe world of New England snow removal is vicious.READ NOW
- RELATEDWill a "Zombie Tax" Keep Self-Driving Cars in Massachusetts in Check?Two state lawmakers plan a move to keep autonomous vehicles from clogging up the streets.READ NOW
- RELATEDSelf-Driving Uber Involved in Crash in ArizonaAnother headache for the beleaguered ride-hailing giant.READ NOW
- RELATEDPeru Man Escapes Through Windshield After Flood Waters Crash His CarThis motorist is lucky to have gotten out of this messy incident alive.READ NOW