Shelby GT350 Owners Sue Ford, Claiming Their "Track-Ready" Mustangs Overheat Too Fast
According to reports, the Shelby GT350's transmission and rear differential can overheat in as little as 15 minutes.
- Muscle Cars
When most people think of a Ford Mustang Shelby GT350, they think of a track-ready monster that cranks out 526 horsepower, takes no prisoners and yells “America” every time you burn rubber. But a group of owners and their lawyers have a bit of a dispute with the first part of that characterization. According to law firms Hagens Berman and Grossman Roth Yaffa Cohen, the “track-ready” Mustangs have a serious overheating problem.
A lawsuit filed on March 22, 2017 at the U.S. District Court for the southern district of Florida stated the 2016 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 is at risk of having its transmission and rear differential overheat in as little as 15 minutes. Since the vehicle was marketed as a track-ready muscle car with years of racing heritage engrained into its DNA, both law firms are filing a class action lawsuit against Ford for fraud and breach of warranty claims. The complainants are reporting Ford refused to fix their vehicles and instructed them to seek repairs on their own dollar.
Steve Berman, managing partner at Hagens Berman said, “We believe that Ford induced purchasers with its ‘track-ready’ marketing, when in fact it knew that this defect would ultimately bar these Mustangs from ever being the hotrod consumers paid for.”
Owners paid at minimum $59,970 for this track-ready Mustang. The base Mustang goes for $25,185, roughly half of the Shelby GT350's price.
If you have a 2016 Shelby GT350, please let us know below how it has handled extended periods of high performance driving.
Below: Video of The Drive's editor, Mike Guy, lapping the Shelby GT350 at Lime Rock Park.
- RELATEDWatch a Supercharged Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 Unleash Hell on the DynoThis Shelby Mustang revs so loud, you can see the camera shakeREAD NOW
- RELATEDCarroll Shelby’s 1966 Shelby GT350-H Goes to Auction and Ford Fights Wrong-Way Driving: The Evening RushPlus, great java on the go by Libra Coffee.READ NOW
- RELATEDHennessey Makes a 800-HP GT350 and a Seattle Company Is Offering Teslas As a Perk: The Evening RushPlus, Caffeine and Carburetors takes over New Canaan, CT this weekend.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 Nearly Crash Into a CrowdJust another instance of Mustang driver idiocy at Cars & Coffee.READ NOW
- RELATEDFord Shelby Mustang GT350 Quick ReviewEight thousand screaming reasons to never stop moving.READ NOW