Porsche 911 With a Corvette Engine Is a Recipe for Insanity
LS1 power, mounted square in the tail.
When you think of a late 80’s Porsche, engine swaps shouldn’t be the first thing to come to mind. Most Porsche aficionados would cringe at the concept of doing an engine swap on such a vehicle. However, certain circumstances can lead to exceptions...like this 1986 Porsche 911 Carrera for example.
Starting off as a Carrera, the car's owner quickly changed it into an IROC RSR tribute, with an LS1 engine swap from a 1998 Chevrolet Corvette. Reportedly cranking out 400 horsepower and 400 pound-feet of torque, the LS1 only ways 60 pounds more than the original motor—yet pumps out a ton more horsepower.
When the driver steps on the gas, it sounds like a hundred lions are angrily roaring in your ear and simultaneously trying to break free. As the car does a pull in 1st gear, you can see the rear end slipping all over the place, trying to put the power down on such a light vehicle (it weighs just 2,575 lbs).
We understand many of you may be upset about “ruining the integrity of the car,” but you do have to admit: It sounds amazing...and looks absolutely terrifying to drive.
- RELATEDWhat Engine Would You Swap Into A Porsche Cayman?Engine swaps are a big part of bench racing discussions among Porsche enthusiasts. If it were your project, what engine would you use?READ NOW
- RELATEDThis 911 V8 Swap Is A Deathwish On WheelsIf at thirty you shove an iron block V8 in the back of a 911, you won't make it to forty.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrive Wire for November 4, 2016: Mopar Offering Hemi Swap Kits for Classic Chrysler Cars and TrucksMaking it easier than ever to plop a brand-new 392 in your mid-century Plymouth.READ NOW
- RELATEDMopar Will Sell You Its SEMA Jeep Concept’s Hemi V8 Swap KitWant to drop a modern 5.7- or 6.4-liter Hemi V8 into an old Jeep? Mopar’s got a special plug ’n play kit just for that. (And it’s cheap.)READ NOW
- RELATEDWhat Is Your Porsche Modification Formula?What bolt-ons would you add to a 997 GT3 to make it your own?READ NOW