Elon Musk's Governmental Security Clearance in Question Over Pot Use: Report
“I mean, it’s legal, right?” said Musk before taking a toke during the Joe Rogan interview.
Musk reportedly recently refiled his SF-86 form, titled “Questionnaire for National Security Positions.” The questionnaire is required to be filed by any government employee or contractor who seeks any form of security clearance through the U.S. government, including those who renew expiring clearances. Musk in particular holds a secret-level clearance due to his close intertwinings as the CEO of SpaceX and the company's governmental contracts with NASA.
A U.S. official reportedly presented Bloomberg with the news, which was later noted not to have a noticeable impact on the day-to-day operations at SpaceX by an employee. Meanwhile, the Department of Defense (DOD) says that it isn't abnormal to have such information reviewed and updated accordingly.
“The Department of Defense is following its normal process when information which may affect an individual’s clearance eligibility is brought to our attention,” said the DOD in an email to Bloomberg. “For privacy and security reasons, we do not publicly discuss individual clearance status.”
Musk, a living and breathing meme, toked on an episode of The Joe Rogan Experience podcast and received heavy backlash from investors and critics. While recreational cannabis is legal in California, where the episode of Rogan's podcast was recorded, it still remains illegal on a federal level—hence the review by the DOD. Other people found the conversation to be a humanizing conversation for the CEO who pleaded that people "be nicer to each other".
This also isn't the first time that Musk's special stuff has gotten him into a bit of a kerfuffle. The Securities and Exchange Commission says that the CEO's most notorious tweet regarding taking Tesla private at $420 per share was most definitely about weed, which, for the record, Musk previously denied.
- RELATEDElon Musk vs. The SEC: A Hypebeast's ProgressThe greatest tragedy in Tesla's history is that a transformative company and a world-changing mission have become less important than one man.READ NOW
- RELATEDElon Musk's 'Taking Tesla Private at $420' Was Definitely Weed Reference, Says SECApparently, he wanted to impress his girlfriend.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla CEO Elon Musk Slammed With Contempt Claim for Breaching SEC AgreementThe SEC alleges that Musk never had his Tesla-related tweets policed prior to publishing.READ NOW
- RELATEDWeed-Themed Porn Studio Offers Elon Musk $150,000 to Appear in Smut FilmThe Tesla CEO's on-camera toke takes a truly bizarre turn.READ NOW
- RELATEDTesla CEO Elon Musk Smokes Weed and Drinks Whiskey During Interview With Joe Rogan“I’m not a regular smoker of weed,” said Musk.READ NOW