Canadian Man Turns Smart Car Into Snowmobile, Because Canada
Diesel-powered micro car on tracks is one way to conquer winter.
- Winter Driving
There's a simple prescription to transform any motor vehicle into a winter-annihilating weapon: Add treads. Whether it's an M1A1 Abrams main battle tank, a Frankensteinian Lada, or a Nissan Rogue outfitted with snow-cat claws, treads give vehicles the ability to shrug off ice and snow in ways not even Jeeps in TV commercials can match. And on top of that, they make any vehicle look significantly more badass. Even a Smart car.
According to CTV, Ottawa-area mechanic Tod Anderson, who operates a European auto repair shop just south of the Canadian capital, didn't have a particularly good reason for replacing the wheels of his 2006 Smart fortwo diesel with skis and treads. "It's just a thought that came to me and it seemed like the right thing to do," he tells the TV channel.
But the end result is undeniably cool. The aft tracks are made for an ATV, Anderson says, while he had to design and build the skis himself. He guesstimates the whole endeavor took about a month and a half of work, and cost around $7,000 CAD, roughly $5,300 in actual money.
Anderson says the Smart tops out around 40 miles an hour, which probably feels like Mach 1 when you're blasting between maples in a snowy forest. And that's pretty much the only place he can drive it, unfortunately: Canadian laws prohibit him from driving it on the road or snowmobile trails, while Canadian manners prevent him from saying "screw it" and doing it anyway. So Anderson's Smart car snow machine is a private property plaything, at least for now.
Still, Mr. Anderson, if you happen to be reading this: We have an enormous empty lot and at least half a dozen car2go Smarts behind our offices right this very minute. You bring the conversion kit, we'll bring the snow.
- RELATEDDad Makes RC Chair for Baby, Wins InternetFatherly love, served with a heaping dose of fatherly WTF.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Nissan Leaf Is Extremely HackableDigital malcontents can make your electric car really, really warm.READ NOW
- RELATEDGoogle Beware? Hacker Builds Self-driving Acura—at HomeSays George Hotz: "Yeah of course there will be skepticism. All I can say is, 'Watch.'"READ NOW
- RELATEDNice Trails Builds 3D-Printed Models of Your Awesome Off-Road AdventuresYour 4x4 trophy shelf gets a lot more inspiring, your off-roading tall tales get a whole lot taller.READ NOW
- RELATED6 Great Cars That Still Won't Bring Tracy BackEven if you love your current car so very much, maybe, one morning, it just won't be there anymore.READ NOW