Porsche’s Cayenne TransSyberia Is The Best Bug-out Vehicle
For when you need to get away from it all (for whatever reason), Porsche's Cayenne TransSyberia is the single coolest get-out-of-dodge vehicle you can buy.
In order to prove the mettle of their Cayenne models, Porsche entered a scad of them in the TransSyberian rally from 2008 to 2010, and won all three of them on the trot. In order to celebrate these victories, they built a limited edition off-road oriented Cayenne S for street use in 2010, called the "Cayenne S TransSyberia". An original name, I know... This is the perfect Porsche model when you need to head for the hills while the shit hits the fan around you. Say, for example, the collapse of your country's geopolitical landscape.
Each of these special models was fitted with air suspension, active suspension management, the Cayenne GTS' slightly uprated 405-horsepower engine, stainless steel skid plates front and rear, and a lower 4.11:1 final drive ratio for superior off-roading prowess. Finding one with the optional "off-road package" is key, however to properly bugging out, as this kit includes a locking rear differential, rock rails, a reinforced "engine bay guard" and reinforced protection for the fuel tank and rear diff.
Granted, the TransSyberia was limited to just 600 examples for North American consumption, and they carried a whoping $70,800 base price when new. That price has fallen a bit, but as they are rare they carry a premium over a standard Cayenne. These do occasionally pop up on eBay, and the prices have varried wildly, but generally expect a decent one to fall somewhere between $30,000 and $50,000. These cars are quite comfortable, even as you're bounding across open plains, or crawling over some rocky mountain passes to get away from the rest of the world.
If you do buy one, or you're one of the lucky few to already have one, don't forget your portable solar panels, gas masks, and 2-year supply of canned food on your way out the door! Good luck out there.
- RELATEDCheck Out This Cayenne On An Off Road Demo CourseEveryone knows Porsche's sports cars are fantastic, and their SUVs have been lauded for their on-road manners. Can they actually hold their own off-road too?READ NOW
- RELATEDNow the Porsche Cayenne Is Implicated in DieselgateEPA fingers the fast ute (and Audi A7, and many others) for cheating on emissions tests.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe 2017 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, at 170 MPH, Finally Makes SenseWe flew to Germany to drive Porsche’s Cessna-mocking SUV the way it was meant to be driven.READ NOW
- RELATEDScaling Pikes Peak in the New Porsche Macan GTSCan a midsize SUV with 20” wheels follow in the footsteps of giants?READ NOW
- RELATED2017 Porsche Panamera Turbo Runs the Nurburgring As Fast As the Carrera GTWe have trouble believing you, Porsche. You should let us try it for ourselves.READ NOW