The Terrifying New 'SpotMini' Boston Dynamics Robot Dog Is Here to Stare Into Your Soul
Is this robot from the Massachusetts-based company ready to scare the pants off consumers in real life?
Back when eerie robot maker Boston Dynamics was owned by
The company released a new video on Monday showing off the streamlined SpotMini that will one day patrol your property, scan the implanted ID chips of visitors, and terminate anyone who's not on the approved list. Presumably. For now, the not-so-mini robot is content to simply trot into view, briefly peer into your soul, and keep moving in the 20-second clip, with the promise of more information "coming soon" at the end.
But for such a short teaser, there's a lot to unpack. Two big changes are immediately apparent compared with past Boston Dynamics robots: The SpotMini's movements have been streamlined, and it's been given a set of slick yellow body panels. The previous SpotMini's locomotion was always impressive, but between the update's smooth movements and smoother design, it really does look like a piece of CGI when it first bounds into view. It's a big departure from their nightmare-inducing designs of the past, and possibly the biggest sign yet that Boston Dynamics is preparing a consumer-grade robot.
However, if the company's previous robots were stuck firmly in the Uncanny Valley, the updated SpotMini has fallen into the Uncanny Crevasse. Maybe it's the fact that the body panels and updated front sensors give it a much more defined head and face than past versions, but you get an unnerving sense of being stared down and sized up when it looks into the camera. Of course, that's probably a good thing for the robotic guard dogs of the future.
- RELATEDMeet Handle, the New Boston Dynamics Robot Here to Fill You With DreadJust because Boston Dynamics's new robot can perform a "Breakfast Club" homage doesn't make Handle any less terrifying.READ NOW
- RELATEDAtlas Is a Terrifying, Hockey Stick-Proof RobotBoston Dynamics: Pushing us towards the robopocalypse since 1992.READ NOW
- RELATEDBoston Dynamics Big Dog Robots Pull Santa’s Sleigh, Ruin ChristmasI’d like to opt out now.READ NOW
- RELATEDBoston Dynamics Reveals Robot Combining Wheels, Legs, and Pure TerrorThe robotics company's newest machine is half horse, half Segway...and all potential Terminator.READ NOW
- RELATEDGoogle Is Scared of Boston Dynamics’ Terrifying Robots, TooThey're so scared, they're trying to sell the company off.READ NOW