This Subaru SVX-Swapped Honda Insight Looks Insanely Fun
It's hardly an Insight anymore ... even better!
Wreck Racing competes in the Grassroots Motorsports Challenge. The basic premise is build a car for under $2,000 to compete in drag and autocross races. It's sort-of like LeMons, except these cars, as janky as they look, are built to run well and win.
For the 2016 GMC, Wreck Racing took a crashed Honda Insight and put a Subaru SVX flat-six in the back. Yes, in the back, with the gearbox hanging out on an extended frame. And yes, you read that right. A flat-six from an SVX. Where on earth did they find that?
For all intents and purposes, this beast only looks like an Insight from the side. It's a shell of it's former hybrid-self. Everything has been stripped out. Everything. Even the windshield.
The aluminum body of the Insight weighs about 300 lb. Pair that with the 230 hp SVX engine and the rest of gear needed to make it go, this car is light and fast. In the GMC drag races, the target is a 10 second quarter mile. As a point of reference, that's entering Dodge Demon territory. Speaking of the rest of the running gear, here's a little of what they put together on the car. The front suspension is from a Crown Vic. The rear is a custom built push-rod suspension, like what you would see on a Formula One car. The gear box protrudes out the back of the car as if it was an after thought.
ThatDudeInBlue recently got to take whatever you want to call this unholy marriage of awesome for a drive.
I'm dropping almost everything from driving bucket list and adding this to the top.
Remember, this thing was made by college students. They will be the future of the automotive industry. I think we're in good hands.
- RELATEDFirst-Generation Honda Insight: the Fine PrintOne of the most efficient cars ever had its share of real-world issues.READ NOW
- RELATEDWould This Buick Grand National-Swapped Mazda RX-7 Be Better With a Hellcat?Hey, why not? There are weird engine swaps, and then there are cars like this.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Dodge Demon is Actually Banned by the NHRA Because of SafetyIt's cool to talk about, but what about the people who want to take the car to the track?READ NOW
- RELATED5 Weird Engine Swaps That Need to HappenFrom the obscure to the obvious, these swaps have to happen at some point.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe STI-Swapped Volkswagen Tristar You've Always WantedThis Subaru-swapped Volkswagen is the best hybrid-pickup since the BRAT.READ NOW