20 Photographic Highlights of the Luftgekuhlt Porsche Show
450 perfect vintage Porsches, and not a water pump on the lot.
To many, luftgekühlt is just another perplexing German adjective, alongside confounding nuggets likeanpassungsfähig ("adaptable") and hemmungslos ("uninhibited"). To Porsche fanatics, luftgekühlt is nothing less than the pre-1999 Porsche 911 and 356's most beguiling quality, pronounced in the cars' native tongue: "air-cooled." The brand, Luftgekühlt, founded by Porsche factory driver Patrick Long and Howie Idelson, a California-based creative director, is dedicated to the celebration of every air-cooled Porsche, from the earliest, skinny-wheeled 356 to their latest in-house project, a rally-prepped '85 911 Carrera 3.2. Last week marked the 3rd iteration of all that internet adoration made physical: "Luft3," an orgy of vintage, air-cooled Porsches parked door-to-door in a lot in Vernon, CA. Jerry Seinfeld and his 904 Carrera GTS were there, as was Jeff Zwart and his 1948 Gmünd coupe. Patrick Dempsey, too.
Still, we weren't and neither were you. Thank God for the pictures.
- RELATEDA Porsche Boxster Spyder in the Wettest Place in North AmericaWhere frost, lake and cloud conspire to thrill—and nearly kill.READ NOW
- RELATEDBuild Your Dream 911 With the Online Porsche 911 R ConfiguratorA dead simple way to burn a whole afternoon.READ NOW
- RELATEDCaption Contest: Porsche, Plummet, PondOne Porsche dealership loses. Everyone else wins.READ NOW
- RELATEDA Porsche Wagon and a Mini Cooper Sedan: The Evening RushPlus, Patagonia jackets on the cheap and one good, dark brew.READ NOW
- RELATEDBuy Patrick Long's Rally-Prepped '85 Porsche 911Partly because it's for charity, mostly because it's sinfully cool.READ NOW