Irwindale Speedway to Shut Down After Nearly 20 Years
The California race track will close on January 31, 2018.
Another historic California race circuit is closing down as Irwindale will shut its doors after January 31, 2018. The decision was made after a string of problems with bankruptcy and property transfers, resulting in a halt of action between 2011 and 2013 when the track reopened. Jim Cohan, CEO of Team 211 Entertainment (the people who run the Irwindale Event Center), released the information in a recent email, according to ESPN.
The track has played host to a long list of NASCAR events as well as Formula Drift in recent years, bringing in crowds from all around the west coast. Despite its popularity, Iwrindale Speedway LLC declared bankruptcy in 2011 and the track was dormant until two years afterward when the property was sold to Lindom Properties.
In 2016, fans were excited to hear that Irwindale would remain open for the 2017 season. Continued uncertainty made it a gamble whether or not races would be scheduled at the venue, and according to Cohan, he was surprised to hear the news of its closing.
He seemed to be in shock as he typed the letter, stating "In all honesty, we were here and in it for the long haul. In fact, we were in the process of putting out our complete schedule for the 2018 season. All that made this news very difficult for me to hear, and very hard on our whole team."
The speedway brought racing back to Irwindale as there was none between 1979 and 1998.
To relive the greatness of the fallen track, check out some of the best racing moments that took place at Irwindale's soon-to-be hollow grounds.
- RELATEDThe Chevy Camaro ZL1 Is Coming to NASCARChevy's street-legal track monster has been turned into a stock car.READ NOW
- RELATEDDale Earnhardt Jr. Joins NBC Broadcast Team for 2018 NASCAR SeasonThe Intimidator Jr. will wax poetic about NASCAR on NBC next year.READ NOW
- RELATEDDodge Won't Return to NASCARThe brand's return to stock car racing is apparently a no-go.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a NASCAR Crash at Goodwood Festival of SpeedIncoming jokes about NASCARs only being able to turn left.READ NOW
- RELATEDFour Spectators Hurt When Car Flies Off Track at NASCAR Mexico RaceThe small track is "dangerous for everyone," according to driver Santiago Tovar.READ NOW