The Best Electric Scooters For Adults (Review & Buying Guide) in 2021
Take charge of your commute with an adult electric scooter.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
BY Robert Bacon / LAST UPDATED ON September 2, 2021
Anyone in urban centers will be familiar with the rise in popularity of adult electric scooters. But they’ve been around for 20 years, so why has there recently been a sharp spike in sales? Rideshare scooter companies had been gaining popularity over the past four years, but during the global pandemic is when sales of personal electric scooters shot up. People needed an alternative to public transport and found their answer in electric scooters.
The benefits of electric scooters quickly became obvious to the masses and sales skyrocketed. Now people have a fun, cheap, and practical way to get on the road. Scooters also help to reduce congestion and emissions in built-up urban areas. With the sheer amount of electric scooters on the market, it can be hard to know what one is right for you. We’ve done the research and selected the best electric scooters for adults in each category.
This scooter manages to perform very well in the key areas important to electric scooter riders: range, speed, durability.
- Powerful 600-watt motor
- Three speed modes
- Agile while staying exceptionally planted
- Long-range lithium-ion battery provides a 28-mile range
- Although it has a powerful motor, its top speed is on the low side at 15.53 miles per hour
- High-quality scooter, but its relatively high price reflects this
It’s hard to find too much not to like about this scooter, considering its price point. It does almost everything its more expensive counterparts do.
- By far the cheapest scooter you can buy that’s still suitable for commuting
- Upgraded headlight mounted at the front
- 17-mile range might not be enough for some people’s needs
- Somewhat underpowered with a 300-watt motor
For some, this will be their ideal scooter. It doesn’t perform as well as its Xiaomi counterpart in any area, but it’s much more affordable as a result.
- Exceptional value for money
- High-quality materials are used in production, making this scooter durable and giving it a stable feeling on the road
- A 250-watt motor might not be powerful enough to make this scooter feel safe while commuting
Why Trust Us
Our reviews are driven by a combination of hands-on testing, expert input, “wisdom of the crowd” assessments from actual buyers, and our own expertise. We always aim to offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Electric Scooter For Adults
- Fun. Electric scooters are a blast to ride, with some of them reaching speeds in excess of 50 mph. You can go for a spin with your friends or explore nature in a totally different way by taking them on off-road trails.
- Save money. Electric scooters cut out the need for a lot of other forms of paid transport. So you can stop spending money on cabs, buses, and trains, etc. These scooters cost very little to recharge, and you might even be able to charge them for free in your workplace.
- Emission-free. For those who care about the environment, electric scooters make a lot of sense - they produce zero emissions. Although emissions are produced from the creation of electricity, scooters use relatively low amounts of electricity when compared to something like an electric car.
- Personal transport. For some, having a car doesn’t make financial sense but they still want their own form of personal transport. Electric scooters are a cheap, convenient way for you to get on the road quickly. If your commute is over 20 miles then you might want to consider an electric motorcycle.
Types of Electric Scooters For Adults
The most common type of electric scooter you’ll see on the roads today is a kick scooter. These electric scooters take the same basic form as the non-motorized scooters that came before them. They have two wheels, a standing deck, and handlebars that are usually foldable. Some of these scooters can be fitted with a seat and it’s possible to get three-wheeled versions. Kick scooters are simple to ride: you stand on them, pull the throttle, and go.
Off-road electric scooters are made for people who like to hit the trails or have some fun exploring nearby woods. For some, these might be suitable commuting options if you travel in poor conditions and encounter wet leaves, etc. These scooters will feature front and rear suspension upgrades, off-road tires, protective covers around components, and a more powerful motor than standard kick scooters.
Big-tire scooters are the cruisers of the electric scooter world. These models have much larger and often wider tires than kick scooters. They usually have a padded seat and wide deck as well as a removable basket to transport what you need. They’re built for comfort and stability, although they’re not as practical as kick scooters since they usually don’t fold. These scooters more closely resemble mopeds than standard kick-style electric scooters.
Xiaomi is a Chinese multinational electronics company founded in 2010, its headquarters is located in Beijing, China. Although Xiaomi doesn’t produce a wide variety of models, their electric scooters are dominating the scene. Their models are neither budget nor premium - they fill the mid-range sector exceptionally well. The Mi Pro 2 is their latest offering and our best overall pick.
Segway Inc. is an American manufacturer founded in 1999 by inventor, Dean Kamen. Its headquarters is located in Bedford, N.H. Segway Inc is specialized in this area and has been producing motorized two-wheeled personal vehicles for over 20 years. They produce a wide range of models at different price points with various unique features. Check out the Ninebot Max G30P which has the longest range of any scooter on this list.
Razor USA, better known as Razor, is an American manufacturer and designer that was founded in 2000 by Carlton Calvin. Its headquarters are located in Cerritos, Calif. This company was at the forefront of the kick scooter craze that started in the early aughts. Now, Razor USA produces a diverse range of electric scooters including the big-tire-styled EcoSmart Metro.
Electric Scooter For Adults Pricing
- Under $200: At this price point, you can expect the electric scooters to have a low capacity battery pack and small motor: this results in a low range and top speed.
- $200 - 600: The majority of electric scooters made for commuting fall in this price range. These scooters usually have top speeds up to around 25 mph and a range of up to 30 miles.
- $600 and up: Scooters in this price range usually have a particularly large battery pack, motor, or both. These scooters can have ranges of over 40 miles or top speeds in excess of 50 mph.
For some people, the battery size will be the most important feature to look into as it plays the biggest part in determining the scooter’s range. A battery capacity of over 350 Wh or more is good and should equate to a range of around 25 miles. You should also pay attention to how long the battery unit takes to recharge and how many charging cycles it’s expected to go through before it degrades.
The size of the motor on an electric scooter is the biggest factor in determining the scooter’s top speed, acceleration, and ability to climb steep hills. Motors start at around 200 W and go up to over 6,000 W. A motor between 350 and 500 W is capable of tackling most people’s daily commute. Although, if you have a need for speed, you might want a motor that's more than 800 W.
Anyone who is commuting on their scooter needs to consider how portable it is. So weight plays a big factor here, and you should aim for a scooter under 30 pounds if you plan on carrying it onto a bus or into your workplace. You’ll also need to consider how easily the scooter folds and how compact it is after folding.
- Seat. Some scooters come with a seat, whereas with others there’s often the option to fit one. If you plan on using your scooter for leisurely rides and comfort is a big factor, you should consider getting a seat. If you ride without a seat, however, you’ll be more agile on the scooter.
- Lights. Anyone who uses an electric scooter at night or to commute should get a scooter with front and rear lights. Some scooters also have LED lights fitted along the deck which are more of a stylistic feature. The lights are usually controlled through buttons on the handlebars.
Best Electric Scooters For Adults Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Get an electric scooter with a built-in charging cord if you need to use it while you’re out and about.
- Always wear the appropriate safety equipment while riding an electric scooter. Here are some of the best scooter helmets.
- Don’t use your electric scooter during a lightning storm.
- Check your tires before each ride and do your best to avoid slippery surfaces whenever possible.
Q: How long does an electric scooter last?
Privately owned electric scooters last 2-3 years, although if they’re properly maintained, they’ll likely last significantly longer than that.
Q: Can you overcharge an electric scooter?
While it was possible to overcharge old electric scooters, the vast majority of modern electric scooters have a computer built-in that automatically stops charging the battery once it’s reached full capacity.
Q: Is it worth getting an electric scooter?
Whether it’s worth it or not depends on what you’re going to use the scooter for. If you want to commute on it, it could significantly reduce your travel time and the amount of money you spend on transport.
Q: Can you rent an electric scooter?
Yes. Check out a startup that rents you an electric scooter here.
Q: Are adult electric scooters different from mobility scooters?
Yes. Mobility scooters tend to be used by the elderly or someone with an injury. Here’s a list of the best mobility scooters.
We chose the Xiaomi Mi Pro 2 as the best electric scooter because it’s extremely competent in all key areas but still not too expensive. If you don’t want to break the bank on an electric scooter, you should opt for the Gotrax XR Ultra as it does everything an electric scooter should but for a fraction of the price. Order an electric scooter today and find out what all the fuss is about.