LAST UPDATED: November 13, 2019
Best Gas Scooters For Adults: Combine Speed With Safety
These are the most reliable and fun gas scooters for adults
The Review Team
How We Decided
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON November 13, 2019
Gas scooters are an excellent alternative to traveling via car. Although they’re powered by gas, their emissions are minimal, and they’re cost-effective to run. These versions are much faster than traditional scooters or bicycles, so you can pick up the pace. Indulge in an adventurous and fun mode of transportation without forking out thousands of dollars. Here’s our list of the top three gas scooters for adults along with some buying tips.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Gas Scooters for Adults
- Cheap insurance. A street-legal scooter is cheaper to insure than a car, helping you to save money in the long run.
- Fun and easy to ride. There’s a unique quality of riding a scooter that allows you to be more aware of your surroundings. You’ll cruise through your neighborhood and feel more relaxed than when driving a car.
- Easy storage. Say goodbye to the struggle of finding a parking space in a packed supermarket. Plus, there’s no more stress of parking your vehicle outside of your home, since gas scooters are small and narrow.
Types of Gas Scooters for Adults
A 50cc street-legal scooter will reach a maximum speed of 35 miles per hour with a fuel capacity up to one gallon. You ride the vehicle in an upright position and it typically has an electric- or kick-start operation system. As a standard, the scooter will have a net weight of 185 pounds and typically hold up to 220 pounds.
From a 150cc scooter, expect speeds up to 60 miles per hour and a fuel capacity of around 1.75 gallons. It’ll typically have a storage seat underneath since the scooter is designed for high-speed roads and can travel long distances on one tank of fuel. These scooters also have a spring-loaded seat and shock-absorbing forks on the front and rear.
A 250cc scooter can travel up to 70 miles per hour without straining. They have a fuel capacity of 2.2 gallons. The scooter will have front and rear disc brakes to ensure you can safely stop in an emergency. It’ll typically have a weight capacity up to 400 pounds, plus a front suspension system to absorb any impact from uneven roads, such as off-road zones.
Founded in 1900 in Oklahoma, Coleman Powersports is a brand that sells outdoor recreational products, including scooters, camping gear, and much more. The brand’s mission is to get everyone feeling adventurous while remaining safe. From its range of products, we recommend the Coleman Powersports 14 49cc Scooter. This is a fuel-efficient scooter that offers 95 miles per gallon, so you can reach your destination in less time without spending much money.
This brand is popular on Amazon. Its budget-friendly price range makes it ideal for those looking for a scooter that’ll provide the fun factor. From its range of products, we recommend the X-Pro 50cc Gas Scooter. Your purchase includes gloves, goggles, and a handgrip to ensure you remain safe and secure when on the roads. This 50cc scooter also has a wide cushioned seat for comfort.
Gas Scooters for Adults Pricing
- Up to $500: Expect an engine up to 50cc, and the scooter to arrive in several pieces. It’ll have an air-cooled, four-stroke engine with a thick, padded seat for comfort.
- $500 and up: The most expensive motor scooters feature adjustable handlebars, Expect a larger engine up to 150cc with top speeds of 60 miles per hour. The scooter will also have storage space under the seat.
Safety should be your main concern, and your chosen gas scooter should come with reliable, high-quality safety features. Invest in a bike with front and rear brakes that work reliably. The handlebars should be adjustable to provide a comfortable and safe grip, and the scooter should have a durable construction that prevents damage in the event of a collision.
You’ll notice that gas scooters come in a range of engine sizes. Consider the speed you will typically ride at, including the route you’ll use. For low-speed traffic throughout town, a 50cc scooter will suffice and reach up to 40-45 miles per hour. Alternatively, a 150cc scooter can reach speeds up to 60mph. Scooters with a faster speed require more experience, so consider that as well.
Consider your height compared to your preferred scooter. If you’re short, a large scooter will be difficult to ride, and it’ll be a challenge to stand up and place your feet on the ground at the end of a journey. Instead, opt for a smaller scooter. You’ll want to choose a size and width that you can comfortably ride, based on your height.
- Storage Space. If you’re a commuter and plan to use the scooter daily, you may need storage space. Therefore, consider a scooter with built-in storage under the seat where you can store your essentials for the ride. Ensure you measure if your laptop or other accessories will comfortably fit in the storage area.
- Weight. The last thing you want is a heavy scooter that requires physical work to get onto and turn around corners. Therefore, opt for lightweight yet sturdy materials, such as an aluminum or steel frame. You should also consider the maximum weight capacity for the scooter, and whether you or the rider is compatible.
- Automatic or Manual. Generally, automatic scooters are much easier to ride, since the engine does the work for you. This is great for first-timers, as it takes the stress and effort out of riding. A downside to this choice is that you have less control over how to ride the scooter.
Best Gas Scooters for Adults Reviews & Recommendations 2020
This scooter from Generies sticks to a more classic scooter design. It comes with a comfortable-looking seat and vintage appearance that makes it stand out from the crowd. The scooter is equipped with a 49cc gas-powered engine, 4-stroke auto clutch, and can hold up to 3.6 liters of gasoline in the tank. That’s quite a lot and can get you pretty far in one trip—up to 120 miles.
The moped is capable of holding up to 330 pounds of weight due to its heavy-duty frame. It’s easy to start and doesn’t require any effort on your part. It comes with an electric start or you can use the old-fashioned kickstart to get it running. Along with the front and rear brake system, mirrors, kick stand, speedometer, and large rear rack, it has everything you need to enjoy a day out.
However, it may require some knowledge of how to operate a clutch in order to fully enjoy it, although the company is releasing an automatic scooter as well. As it is a vintage-looking scooter, the price is a bit more expensive than other models.
This unique-looking scooter is designed to fit in with today’s modern lifestyle. The SAY YEAH Gas Bike is equipped with a 50cc engine and can hold up to 1.25 liters of gasoline in the tank. This makes it capable of riding up to 12 mph on its EPA-approved engine. While it isn’t the quickest of scooters, it is light and nimble and can easily get around objects.
It is also quite simple to maneuver with its handlebar controls that include speed and the brakes. There are no gears you have to fuss with—just an easy-to-use crank handle. It’s also simple to start by pulling the pull rope and hitting the throttle. The scooter also features large 10-inch pneumatic dirt tires that make for a smooth ride over concrete or off-road terrain. It is great for riders age 13 and up.
However, it may take you a few tries to get it to start before your first ride. It will require some maintenance to ensure it runs properly before you first get on it. This could range from attaching the brake cables to cleaning the carburetor.
While it may not be a traditional scooter so to speak, the Lifan 200cc gas moped scooter is considered one nonetheless. The only reason it doesn’t fit our top spot is due to its odd design for a scooter—it looks more like a motorcycle. The machine features a 200cc engine, which makes it quick and powerful as well.
The scooter also has what is known as EFI Technology, which allows the bike to monitor engine sensors so you know if anything is wrong with the machine. It is a 6-speed manual clutch scooter as well, and can be started simply with its electric system.
However, there are a few things to note. You may be required to have a license for this bike and the clutch system can be difficult to use for some riders.
Let’s start with the way this scooter looks, as it is one of the best-designed and best-looking adult scooters on our list. Even if you’re a child or younger teen, you’ll get plenty of enjoyment out of this scooter. It features a two-speed gearbox that makes it capable of riding off the road as well as on concrete.
The scooter includes a 49cc 2-stroke engine with a total of 2 HP, which may not seem like a lot but it does allow it to reach speeds of up to 35 mph. This also makes the ride much smoother and more comfortable. You can even do tricks with it and take it to the skatepark if you so choose. It even folds down for simple storage and easy carry access.
However, due to the 2-stroke engine, it can be a pain to start when it's cold outside. Give it a few minutes to warm up and it should start smoothly, though. Also, many have said the chain can come loose and come off over time.
At first glance, this bike looks just like another one of our choices, but it is completely different in several ways. The TOXOZERS scooter is built with freedom and fun in mind. It is built with a “Cam-Link” suspension that allows it to glide over terrain smoothly and comfortably. It also ensures the scooter can take a beating after a jump or trick.
It’s built with a two-speed gearbox: one low and one high. This makes it capable of being ridden off the beaten path. Plus, it includes a 49cc, 2 HP 2-stroke engine. Coupled with its beefy 11-inch pneumatic knobby tires, the scooter is quick, nimble, and entertaining for riders of any age that can operate a bike. The scooter can even turn into a standing scooter with its quick-release seat. It’s also constructed with a billet aluminum deck which makes it easier to store and carry.
Being an adult scooter, the seat should be one of the most comfortable things on it. However, that may not be the case for this specific model. Users have said the seat can be rather uncomfortable and you may need to replace it or get a padded seat for yourself. It is also on the pricey side.
- Look for a scooter that has storage space for your essentials. You’ll typically have the option of storing things under the seat, in the trunk, or in a detachable basket on the front of the scooter.
- Choose a scooter that’s a suitable build for your frame and height. The seat’s height makes a huge difference for comfort, so check if you can adjust the position. Make sure you are strong enough to park the scooter and easily get off of it without toppling over.
- Where you ride the scooter will affect the engine size you require. For example, if you want to travel far distances on fast roads, you’ll require an engine size around 150cc, but for shorter routes, a top speed of 30 mph with an engine that’s 50cc will suffice.
Q: What factors affect my scooter’s fuel consumption?
A: Carry as little equipment as possible so that your gas scooter doesn’t have to work hard to carry the additional weight. If it’s windy outside, it will use more fuel than if the weather is calm. Also, avoid riding on uneven surfaces, as rough terrain requires more fuel.
Q: Should I buy a used gas scooter?
A: If you’re searching for a gas scooter that you’ll ride for fun rather than daily use, a used one will suffice. This is also a great option if you have a small budget. But before you rush to the first used one you find, check reviews and research the warranty that comes with the purchase.
Q: What are the benefits of owning a scooter rather than a car?
A: A scooter is much cheaper to purchase and run. It’s also more environmentally friendly since it releases fewer emissions. It’s much easier to find a parking space for a scooter since it’s smaller.
The Generies 49cc Gas Powered Moped Scooter Bike offers a fun ride for adults and has a sporty feel to it. With a maximum speed of 35mph, it’s also ideal for beginners.
Don’t let a small budget spoil the fun, as our cheapest option is stylish and has all the features you need for a daily ride. The SAY YEAH Gas Bike 50cc Mini Scooter is unique and nimble.