LAST UPDATED: October 29, 2019
Best 4-Bike Hitch Racks: Transport All Your Bikes in One Trip
Great options for keeping your bikes in tow while you are on the move
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
PUBLISHED ON October 29, 2019
Are you going on an adventurous trip and need your bike for some short rides? Or perhaps you are making an interstate move and need to relocate with your bike. Whatever the reason, a high-quality bike hitch rack can help you safely secure your bike on your vehicle. If you have about four bikes, you can use any of the options in our buying guide.
This is a fully-padded and heavy-duty 4-bike hitch rack that fits both 1.25- and 2-inch receivers.
- The rack swings out and away so you can get to stuff in the trunk with bikes loaded.
- This quick and easy to assemble hitch rack comes with Yakima’s Same Key System to lock the rack to the vehicle and the bikes to the rack.
- A special adapter is required for some bikes, at extra cost.
- More expensive than most hitch racks.
- Some assembly required.
An affordable and secure hitch rack that fits on a 2-inch hitch receiver and can fit up to five bikes.
- It has foldable carry arms.
- Comes with individual tie-downs for each bike.
- Is able to accommodate various bike designs and frames. Installation is quick.
- Has a low weight capacity of only 140 pounds.
- Can’t fit on trailers.
A sturdy hitch rack with soft cushion protectors that fits dual-arm bikes with 1.25- or 2-inch hitch receivers.
- Has easy-to-use ratchet buckles.
- E-coated for rust resistance.
- Can be folded when not in use.
- Protects your bike frames from collision damage.
- Installs in minutes.
- The straps may loosen with frequent use.
- The bikes may sway back and forth noisily.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Best 4-Bike Hitch Racks Reviews & Recommendations 2021
TheYakima FullSwing earns our Best Overall award on our list. This option provides tool-free installation with locking SpeedKnob features Yakima’s install and click installation provides time-efficient and hassle-free installation. This option is constructed to swing away from you, providing easy access to your trunk. Yakima provides the versatility to carry most men’s, women’s, and children’s bikes (some mountain, women's, and kids' bikes require the TubeTop adapter, sold separately). This versatility allows for the entire family to bring their bikes for any family bike trail expedition. Yakima contains zip strips that seamlessly attach your bikes to the rack. For added security and peace of mind, this option contains a same-key system that secures your bikes and rack from theft. Yakima offers the versatility and security you demand from any four bike hitch rack, which places this option as the Best Overall on our list.
TheAllen Sports 4-Bike Hitch Rack provides the value you demand from any bike rack while maintaining efficiency. This option is designed to accommodate all bicycle designs, providing for an all inclusion bike transporting experience. This option contains a quick install locking hitch insert which fits 2- inch receiver hitches and includes 2 keys. Allen contains a quick fold arms feature that operates by pressing two pins to release the rack into a folded position. This option also grants you hassle-free access to your trunk. You can access your trunk by lifting the rack and tilting it towards you, allowing for safe trunk entry. For secure bike transport, Allen contains patented tie-down cradles with straps and buckles that individually secure and protect bicycles. Look no further than Allen for the efficiency you deserve.
TheTyger Auto 4-Bike Hitch Carrier Rack lives up to its name in the bike rack industry. Tyger is designed with versatility in mind. This option can accommodate all types of dual-arm bikes on vehicles equipped with either a 1.25 or a 2-inch hitch receiver. Tyger’s sturdy construction is reinforced with OE standard Black color E-Coating meant to withstand wear and tear, as well as rust. This option contains a tilt-down feature with foldable carry arms when not in use. Tyger contains soft cradles and protection pads to guard against bike and vehicular damage. This option can be easily installed in minutes thanks to the provided do it yourself instructions. Let Tyger become the bike rack you turn to when you want to transport your bikes to any jungle trail you want to navigate.
TheMaxxHaul 4-Bike Deluxe Mount Rack earns our Most Reliable award for the efficiency it provides for every bike transporting experience. This option is constructed in rigid, all-steel construction built to maintain its integrity between trips. MaxxHaul contains padded bike cradles with hook and loop straps to help maintain the integrity of the stored bikes, as well as the vehicle. This option contains a swing down feature that allows for easy, hassle-free, and convenient access to the rear of the vehicle. MaxxHaul is not for use with RVs, campers, or fifth wheels. This option provides the security and reliability you need from a bike rack at a reasonable price. Those attributes secure MaxxHaul’s credentials as a must-have for your bike transporting needs.
TheIKURAM 4 Bike Rack Bicycle Carrier provides an adaptable option for every bike transporting mission. This option is constructed in long-lasting and durable all-steel construction. It is also constructed in a protective powder paint finish to safeguard against rust. IKURAM contains a dual-arm mounting design and spacing that can accommodate a variety of bikes. This option’s tilt-down design allows for rear vehicle access to streamline every bicycle outing. Its easy folding down arms feature provides convenient storage when not in use. This option provides a lifetime warranty provided by a professional consulting services team. IKURAM is designed to accommodate most cars, trucks, SUV,s and minivans with a two-inch hitch receiver. The flexibility IKURAM provides for most vehicles provides ample enough reasoning for its entry onto this list.
- Confirm that your car has a steady hitch receiver before attaching the hitch rack. If you have a rusty, corroded, or broken piece, then it may not be the best for the job.
- Take note of the weight limit of your bike rack. It’s usually written in the manual or any other document that comes with it. You risk dropping your bikes or dragging them on the road if you exceed the rack’s weight limit.
- Not all vehicles come with a hitch receiver. Do not drill holes in your car to mount the rack. It may not hold steady. Visit your nearest mechanic to have an aftermarket hitch receiver installed on your car.
- Bikes come with different designs. There are some that have long handlebars or frames that may not fit on a hitch rack. Consider buying a roof rack for transporting them.
- Bike hitch racks only secure the bike frame. Consider buying extra straps for securing the handlebar and tires to prevent them from turning and hitting your vehicle.
Q: What is a hitch receiver?
A: A hitch receiver is a rectangular tube that’s bolted on the underside of the rear of a vehicle. It’s the place where you attach a hitch for hooking a trailer, a bike rack, or anything else that needs to be towed.
Q: How can I tell the size of the hitch receiver I have?
A: Measure the inner tube of the hitch receiver to get the size. Most passenger cars have a one or 1 ¼-inch receiver. SUVs and pickups have a two or 2 ½-inch receiver, and new select pickups have a 3-inch receiver.
Q: Do I need a special adapter to attach the hitch rack?
A: When in doubt, consult the rack installation manual to know if you need any special adapter. But ideally, racks with a hitch of Class II and above do not need special adapters for installation. Such hitches are rated at 500 pounds and above.
Q: Can I access my trunk?
A: A bike rack holding about four bikes at the rear of your vehicle will definitely block your access to the trunk. It may also block your brake lights and license plate. Get everything you need from the trunk before you stack up the bikes.
Our top pick is the Hollywood Racks 4-Bike Hitch Mount Rack. It’s a safe rack that won’t damage your vehicle.
Our budget pick is the Allen Sports 4-Bike Hitch Rack. It’s affordable and installing it is quick and easy.