Michigan Man Tries to Test New Tires, Loses Control of Ford Ranger and Smashes Into Store
Witnesses say the driver had cracked open a cold one before initiating his tire-testing procedure.
Michigan police arrested a 24-year-old man after he ran out of skill while performing a burnout and crashed his Ford Ranger into a BP gas station.
During the early morning hours of Oct. 24, police say that William Edmonds, a regular customer at this particular BP station, got out of his pickup and entered the convenience store. According to ABC12, he reportedly bought some beer and opened one for the road before slipping into the driver's seat of the truck, which was parked at the fuel pumps.
Several moments later, surveillance footage shows the truck plowing through the front door.
A gas station employee reportedly told police that after Edmonds got in his truck, he accelerated and collided with a gas pump island. His Ranger then careened into the gas station and came to a stop near the rear of the store. Edmonds exited the vehicle, tore off his license plate, and fled the scene on foot.
Given that Edmonds was a regular customer and his face was all over cameras, it didn't take long for police to positively identify the suspect despite the vehicle missing its registration tag.
Nearly 13 hours after the incident, deputies from the Oakland County Sheriff's Department arrested Edmonds at his home. The driver admitted to drinking and eventually told police that he was attempting to "give the new tires a spin" when he struck a curb and lost control. Edmonds said that he had no intention of crashing into the building or putting other people at risk—instead, he indicated that after the incident he fled because he was fearful.
Police charged Edmonds with reckless driving and leaving the scene of an accident. Edmonds was released on a $5,000 bond and was told not to return to the gas station.
- RELATEDNissan Xterra Driver Narrowly Avoids Death by Logs in Hollywood-Like CrashThe driver reportedly reached down to grab something when the logs speared through the windshield of his SUV.READ NOW
- RELATEDLawsuit Blames Tesla Pop-Out Door Handles for Fatally Trapping Driver in Fiery CrashThe Model S features disappearing door handles that are meant to deploy in the case of an emergency. The suit alleges that they didn't.READ NOW
- RELATEDSome Savage Crashed This Beautiful 2008 Alfa Romeo 8C CompetizioneThis is why we can't have nice things.READ NOW
- RELATEDReckless 14-Year-Old Crashes Into Lamborghini Urus With Stolen Subaru ForesterThe juvenile attempted to flee police a second time but failed to make it more than a block before t-boning the $300k SUV.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrunk Ram 1500 Driver Lands Inside Wisconsin Home in High-Flying, Movie-Like CrashThat's one way to send it.READ NOW