Next-Generation Honda Civic Type R Will Be a Hybrid: Report
NSX tech is apparently coming to Honda's relatively humble hot hatch.
On top of being one of the most divisively styled cars in recent memory, the current Honda Civic Type R looks like it'll go down in history as the last CTR to be powered without some sort of electrification.
According to a report from Autocar, the next generation Type R hot hatch will be a hybrid, citing a new plan from Honda to have its entire lineup offered with some sort of electrical power in Europe by the year 2025. This is a more ambitious revision to a previous plan presented two years ago which saw Honda aiming to have two-thirds of all European sales electrified by the middle of the next decade.
Naturally, the hot hybrid Civic will likely use tech trickled down from the company's electrified NSX supercar. While the mid-engined halo car uses a 3.5-liter V-6 coupled to a total of three electric motors, Autocar predicts the next Civic Type R to continue to use a 2.0-liter four-cylinder paired with...some electric motors. We're thinking less than or equal to three.
"Since we made that first pledge in March 2017, the shift towards electrification has gathered pace considerably," said Honda Europe head Tom Gardner at the Geneva Motor Show. "Environmental challenges continue to drive demand for cleaner mobility. Technology marches on unrelenting and people are starting to shift their view of the car itself."
What's more, Honda U.K. boss Dave Hodgetts told the British publication that the move was spurred on by just how well the company's hybrid CR-V has been selling. For every ten CR-Vs sold in Britain, six of 'em are hybrids.
- RELATED2018 Honda Civic Type R Review: This $35,000 Front-Drive Hot Hatch Impresses Like a SupercarHonda's super-Civic packs track-crushing performance and great driving manners. Who cares if the Type R looks like a pissed-off Dyson vacuum?READ NOW
- RELATEDMeet the Vandal One, an American-Made, 1,200-LB Track Car With a 560-HP Civic Type R HeartUpstart automotive manufacturer Vandal Sports Cars is building a made-in-the-USA speed demon designed to wallop the world's heavy hitters on the track.READ NOW
- RELATEDHonda Wrapped a Civic Type R and NSX in Gold to Celebrate Its 50th Australian Birthday'Dr. Evil, can I paint his Type R gold? It's kinda my thing, y'know.'READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Honda Civic Type R: The Hot Hatch Juggernaut Lives Another YearMost important of all the new features on the 2019 Honda Civic (and Type R) is the return of the volume knob...and stellar drivability.READ NOW
- RELATEDHonda Will Sell You a Turnkey Civic Type R TCR Race CarIt isn't street-legal, but the law only applies if they can catch you.READ NOW