Pope Francis Ditches Fancy Popemobiles, Arrives at Abu Dhabi Palace in Kia Soul
His Holiness continues to show his famously understated taste in cars.
Saint John Paul the Great may have been the most traveled pope in the long history of the job, but one part of the world that he, nor any other pope in modern history has visited until now is the Arabian Peninsula. The United Arab Emirates is a nation often associated with opulent luxury, fabulous supercars, and a generally bourgeois lifestyle, but when Pope Francis rolled up to the presidential palace in Abu Dhabi, he did so with great humility. Taking the cardinal virtue of temperance to the extreme, His Holiness showed up in a humble Kia Soul.
Pope Francis’ rather understated taste in cars has been noted before with the Fiat 500L that he used for getting around the U.S. back in 2015. It was the range-topping Lounge trim, but it still retails in the low- to mid-$20k range, and most definitely an incredible departure from Popemobiles of yore.
Going from a 500L to a Kia Soul is moving even further down-market for Pope Francis. Let’s assume it’s the + trim (yes, the Soul uses punctuation marks for trims) which starts right around the $20k mark in the U.S. That’s a pretty thrifty choice for any world leader.
What would've been a much more appropriate ride for the UAE is the Lamborghini Huracán in Vatican livery that was gifted to Pope Francis, however, it was given with the intention of being auctioned off with the money going to the charities of the Pope’s choice.
The Kia Soul might not be very fancy or fashionable, but it’s cheap and practical, and it seems that's what Pope Francis is going for. In a way, it’s actually pretty exotic because we have a feeling there aren’t a lot of Kia Souls in the UAE.
- RELATEDThis Fiat 500L Used by Pope Francis During a Visit to Philadelphia is up for AuctionHoly Fiat. The Pope rode in this car and now it could be yours.READ NOW
- RELATEDHoly Roller: Pope John Paul II's Old Ford Escort Could Sell for $300K at AuctionWill a touch of grace make this the most expensive Ford Escort in the world?READ NOW
- RELATEDPope Francis’ RWD Lamborghini Huracan Auctioned for $861,575All proceeds from the Huracan's sale will go towards charityREAD NOW
- RELATEDGeneral Motors Gives Pope Francis a European Chevy BoltThe Bishop of Rome has a new electric ride, thanks to Opel.READ NOW
- RELATEDHere Are All the Mercedes Popemobiles That Francis Won’t Ride InThe Pope is letting all this swagger gather dust.READ NOW