2020 BMW M340i xDrive Will Have 382 Horsepower but Still No Manual
It'll be the fastest 3 Series you can get short of the M3.
Underneath all of the punchier looking front-and-rear fascias, side skirts, and darker trim, the M Performance 3er gets a 382-horsepower, 3.0-liter, turbocharged straight-six good for 369 pound-feet of torque. The mill now uses an aluminum crankcase and cylinder head as well as a reworked turbo system. Mated to an eight-speed automatic transmission and rear-biased all-wheel drive, the Bavarian sports sedan gets from 0 to 62 miles per hour in 4.2 seconds—half a second quicker than last year's model.
An M Sport exhaust further enhances the Bimmer's straight-six growl especially when it's flicked into its Sport or Sport+ driving modes.
Of course, sports car-baiting acceleration and noise only tell half the story as the M340i gets an M Sport differential as well as M Sport suspension to help it get around corners quickly, predictably, and entertainingly. The car sits ten millimeters lower, features a wider track, and can be optioned with electronically-controlled adaptive dampers. Variable Sport Steering aims to provide a good amount of agility, precision, and feedback.
Four-piston M Sport brakes with blue, M-branded calipers sit behind a set of new 18-inch wheels with 19-inch alloys available as an option.
The 2020 BMW M340i xDrive will be on display at the L.A. Auto Show starting Nov. 30 and will appear in American showrooms July 2019.
- RELATED2019 BMW 3 Series: All New and Ready to ImpressThe BMW 3 Series has been the icon of the premium midsize sedan segment for 40 years, but does it still have what it takes?READ NOW
- RELATEDHere's the Next-Gen, Lower, Lighter BMW 3 Series Testing at the NürburgringThe upcoming G20 3er hits the Nordschleife for a spot of testing.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW M3 Wagon Is a Real Possibility for the Next-Generation 3 SeriesA BMW M3 Touring could finally happen, but would it ever reach American shores? Probably not.READ NOW
- RELATEDNext BMW M340i May Come with a Carbon Fiber RoofCarbon fiber all of the things.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 BMW M8 Will Get Over 600 HP and Selectable RWDBMW has also confirmed Convertible and Gran Coupe variants of the high-performance 8 Series.READ NOW