A Jukebox Made From a Mercedes-Benz 220SE Is for Sale
Phonographs are too mainstream, we only play our vinyl under the hoods of old Benzes.
If you own a collection of vinyl records, chances are pretty good that you are already into the alt. You may have psychedelic art hanging above your bed, a Ouija board in your bathroom, or strong opinions about the latest AJJ album. Merely owning, using, and polishing a phonograph isn't enough to stand out in hipster circles today—you need to involve a grander ceremony in your enjoyment of music to be culturally cutting-edge.
Why not use a vintage phonograph jammed under the hood of a Mercedes-Benz 220SE, then? Such a device surfaced Friday on vintage car auction site Bring A Trailer, complete with a summary of the contraption's origins.
This 45 rpm phonograph was reportedly built by a British performance art group Mutoid Waste Company during its peak in the 1980s, and is housed in the front end of a mid-1960s Mercedes-Benz believed to be a 220SE. At some point in its life, the phonograph was shipped to Los Angeles, California, where it resides now. The phonograph itself is nonfunctional, and in need of both a restoration and some 220-volt power to operate again.
One auction commenter claims to have seen the phonograph in action, and says that the car's headlights would flash and the engine compartment would light in various colors as music played. The rest of the comments are full of car and audiophile humor, and are worth a read.
Though the auction for this phonograph has no reserve, the high bid sits at $1,000 as of the time of this article. Should vintage audio or old Mercedes enthusiasts spot rare parts they need, bids could continue to escalate by the time the hammer falls at 6:40 p.m. EST, this Friday.
- RELATEDThree Mercedes-Benz Stunners to Watch out for at Sotheby's Monterey AuctionSome of the world's wealthiest collectors will drool over these stunning Silver Arrows.READ NOW
- RELATEDMercedes-AMG Reportedly Hops on Anti-Flipping Bandwagon with Project ONEMercedes is cracking down on Project ONE buyers who will immediately sell the car for profit.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class First Drive: A Swoopy E-Class With a Fantastic New EngineCome for the four-door-coupe style. Stay for the dynamite hybrid inline-six.READ NOW
- RELATEDListen to a Road in Japan Play Music from the Film Spirited AwayGrooves in asphalt at precise intervals can produce musical notes. Placing several in a series will stitch together a tune.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Pro Driver Ariel Biggs Hit the Track in the Classic Recreations Shelby GT350CRThis restomod Mustang attacks the Thermal Club in the capable hands of Midget racer Biggs.READ NOW