The Dodge Challenger Demon Is an 840-HP Street-Legal Drag Car
Dodge claims it has the most powerful V8 engine ever fitted to a production car.
Dodge unveiled its new 840-horsepower Challenger Demon at a firework-filled event in New York Tuesday evening.
Powered by what Dodge is calling the most powerful V8 ever equipped in a production vehicle, the car can do zero to 60 miles per hour in 2.3 seconds and launch down a quarter-mile of drag strip in 9.65 seconds. Basically, those numbers mean this car is quick as hell.
Also, keep in mind those numbers were most likely recorded in perfect conditions at a drag strip. Not on your local entry ramp. Either way, we here at The Drive most definitely do not doubt the Demon's speed.
In addition to throwing more power at the Challenger by method of a new 2.7-liter supercharger, the car also gets a new ECU that allows the driver to switch the tune from street gas to race fuel on the fly, and several other performance bits. The Challenger also loses weight with the removal of its passenger seats and radio system—both of which can be re-optioned to the car if the buyer chooses.
“With Demon, our goal was to build a car that would tattoo the Dodge logo into the subconscious of the general market, beyond even our loyal enthusiasts," said Fiat Chrysler's chief of passenger cars, Tim Kuniskis, in a press release. “To do so, we had to set records that have never been set before, do more than has ever been done before, go beyond even the legendary Hellcat. The result: an 840-horsepower, 9-second muscle car unlike anything that has ever come before it.”
- RELATEDVW Teams With Mobvoi to Improve In-Car Artificial IntelligenceVolkswagen is partnering with Chinese tech company Mobvoi to bring AI to infotainment systems.READ NOW
- RELATEDCrazy Ohio Ford Dealer Now Selling 550-HP EcoBoost Mustang for $32,995Lebanon Ford can't stop, won't stop with the high-horsepower Mustangs.READ NOW
- RELATED2018 Dodge Challenger SRT Demon Will Use "Race-Hardened Parts"Say goodbye to the days of axle disintegration.READ NOW
- RELATEDDodge Challenger SRT Demon Performances Pages Have All the InformationWhen you are harnessing earth-moving horsepower, you want to know every little data point.READ NOW
- RELATEDDodge Challenger SRT Demon Uses the A/C to Cool the EngineHope you're not afraid to get a little sweaty in the name of drag racing.READ NOW