This Wrecked Rally Fiesta Got the Most Air We’ve Ever Seen In a Crash
The driver and codriver were fine, but they definitely had enough air time to watch multiple lives flash in front of their eyes.
Want to see just how far motorsport safety has really come? Take a look at this incredible crash from last weekend's Rallye Coeur de France, and marvel at a Ford Fiesta nearly getting launched into orbit.
JMvideo captured a highlight reel of the action from Coeur de France, including everything from to Alpines to Citroëns and Volkswagens and even a Porsche 911. It's a joy.
(This highlight reel should start right at the big crash, but if it doesn't, pay attention to about the 3:10 mark.)
There's one crash that doesn't just stand out in the video, but stands out in life as well. As in, this has to be one of the most incredible crashes I've seen to date. A Ford Fiesta locks up its brakes heading into a corner on the Savigny special stage, but doesn't slow down enough to avoid getting absolutely launched off of a berm opposite the corner.
The car is hurled end-over-end into a bit of a cartwheel (...crashwheel?), tossing its bumper far away in the process. Amazingly, no one inside was seriously injured. They were probably a bit sore the next day and should definitely ask a doctor if they might've gotten a concussion from that one, but JMvideo said the crew was just fine.
"I would never have put it if the crew were injured," JMvideo explained in the comments, as translated by Google.
The Fiesta wasn't the only one caught out by that corner. A Renault at about 2:12 in the video also locks up its brakes and hits that same berm. However, that driver was able to slow down much more before the crash, thus avoiding the air time.
So, have we mentioned that Thank Your Cage Builder Day should be an internationally recognized holiday? Because it definitely should.
[H/T Jb boin on OppositeLock!]
Got a tip? Send us a note: email@example.com
- RELATEDYou, Amateur Hoon, Can Own the Ford Focus RS RX From Ken Block’s Gymkhana NineIt survived hanging a wheel over Lake Superior and a jump in front of a train. Now it's being auctioned off for charity.READ NOW
- RELATEDWRC Driver Flips Rally Car End Over End Just Before Finish LineThat's gotta hurt, in more ways than one.READ NOW
- RELATEDThese Rally Spectators Are the Ultimate Recovery CrewWho needs the sweep team with this crowd retrieving crashed rally cars instantly?READ NOW
- RELATEDThis Body Kit Makes Your Toyota MR2 Look Like the Mythical 222D Rally PrototypeThe 222D never got to spread its wings on a rally stage, but you can now change that by building your own.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Toyota 86 Race Car Flip End-Over-End at Australia’s Unforgiving Bathurst CircuitLuckily, the teenage driver was able to walk away from the incident.READ NOW