Sonoma Speed Festival Is Bringing Goodwood-Style Action Stateside
With historic cars like Ferrari 250 GTOs, fine wine, and a racetrack, Sonoma Speed Festival's where Goodwood and Pebble Beach will meet.
This spring, Sonoma Raceway will host a get-together of vintage race cars in California's wine country for a weekend of fine drinking, dining, and everyone's favorite—motorsport—at the inaugural Sonoma Speed Festival.
Held between Thursday, May 30 and Sunday, June 2, the Sonoma Speed Festival hopes to bring the spirit of the Goodwood Festival of Speed to the Americas. Primarily being a motorsport festival, the event's emphasis will be on-track activities, which will feature iconic and historic race cars duking it out like the old days. Notable entries include a multitude of historic Ferraris, such as the 250 Testarossa and 250 GTO, a Maserati 300S, multiple Maserati Tipo 61 "Birdcages," Gulf Porsche 917Ks, Jaguar D-Types, Mario Andretti's 1976 Lotus 77 Formula 1 car, and Niki Lauda's 1977 Scuderia Ferrari 312T2B.
The event's pièce de résistance will be a historic 1966-1969 Trans-Am race, which will pay tribute to the monstrous 1969 Trans-American Sedan Championship title fight between Mark Donohue and Parnelli Jones, part of which occurred on the hallowed grounds of Sonoma Raceway, then known as Sears Point.
Those not racing or hosting one of the paddock's historical or cultural displays (which will showcase the evolution of racing technology) can indulge in some of California's best wine, beer, coffee, and restaurant offerings. Accommodations can be found either in the best local hotels or alternatively, tents, as the Sonoma Speed Festival is selling weekend camping passes.
Admission can be paid by the day, with general admission coming in at $70 presale for one day or $90 for the whole weekend. General admission allows access to the entire paddock and the all-important close-up view of the event's cars, which are liable to make lifelong impressions on any kids that attend the event—ages 12 and under are free with a paying adult. For parents that have $1,500 sitting around, it may be worth taking advantage of that provision to get their kid behind the VIP tape.
- RELATEDWatch a McLaren Senna Race Dirt Bikes up the Goodwood Hill ClimbForza Horizon 4's cover car reenacts the game IRL.READ NOW
- RELATEDDrag Racer Dies After Accident at Sonoma RacewayThe track has not reported an on-track death in three decades.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Five Best Moments from the 2018 Goodwood Festival of SpeedThis year's rendition of the Festival of Speed was an unforgettable experience.READ NOW
- RELATEDMeet the Vandal One, an American-Made, 1,200-LB Track Car With a 560-HP Civic Type R HeartUpstart automotive manufacturer Vandal Sports Cars is building a made-in-the-USA speed demon designed to wallop the world's heavy hitters on the track.READ NOW
- RELATEDTwo Historic Jaguar Le Mans Racers Head to Auction, Expected to Fetch MillionsOne was a Group C influencer and the other was a class champion at la Sarthe, so you can take your pick.READ NOW