F1, Fernando Alonso, and Racing’s “Dewey Defeats Truman” Moment
After a spectacular crash, McLaren's ex-World Champion posts a photo for the ages.
Odds are good you've caught word of Fernando Alonso's spectacular crash at this weekend's F1 Australian Grand Prix. Seventeen laps into the race, the former World Champion collided with the Esteban Gutierrez; the impact sent Alonso's car bouncing off the wall, into a gravel trap, and flipping ass-over-teakettle, coming down a good six or seven car lengths from the track. Amazingly, Alonso was unhurt in the accident, and managed to crawl away from the wreck almost immediately. Gutierrez, who was also unharmed, rushed over to check on him.
"I saw a little space to go out and went out quickly—my mum will watch TV so I want to be out quickly and say I am okay," Alonso said. "It was a scary moment, a scary crash. You see the sky, the ground, the sky, you want to stop…"
Alonso added that neither he nor Gutierrez were at fault in the crash.
"We both tried to fight and obviously sometimes we forget we are at 300km/h and every little crash can become much bigger," he said. "But we are both happy and talking here, that's the really important point."
F1 officials agreed; after reviewing the footage and interviewing the drivers, they found that neither driver was at fault for the wreck.
Best of all, though, the crash begat this gem of a picture, posted to Alonso's official Instagram account this morning as he recovered from the impact:
- RELATED8 Weird Automotive Crash TestsWatch out for that moose.READ NOW
- RELATEDF1 Driver Obtains Bond Villain’s Jaguar Supercar, Hoons GratuitouslyNo, Mr. Bond. I expect you to slide.READ NOW
- RELATEDAmerica’s First F1 Car in 30 YearsGet to know the Haas VF-16.READ NOW
- RELATEDFinally, a Supercut of G-Wagens Crashing Into StuffEvery bit as entertaining as you’d expect.READ NOW
- RELATEDFormula 1 Driver Romain Grosjean Is Just Like YouOh, the humility.READ NOW