Formula Drift Driver Chelsea DeNofa Walks Through All the Gear That Keeps Him Safe
Crashes do happen. Chelsea DeNofa talks about what he wears and what's built into his Ford Mustang RTR that protects him in case a risky situation arises.
Like many Formula Drift drivers, Chelsea DeNofa vlogs his race days, race prep days, and all the days in between. For a recent video on his YouTube channel, he went through all of the safety equipment both on him and in his car that keeps him alive while in battle at an FD event.
Contact between cars and walls is common in Formula Drift and damage does occur. For example, Italian Federico Sceriffo was involved in an accident that caused his Ferrari drift car to go up in flames, but he had safety equipment to protect him. What he was wearing as well as the way his car was engineered let him quickly exit his race car safely.
In DeNofa's video he goes through all the safety parts of his suit, helmet, and gloves along with the safety aspects of his car. He comments on how each part does its job and lets him actually go home after an event if something goes wrong.
"I have had quite a few bad wrecks, but I'm really thankful for my Hans and Recaro seat with head protection. Last year in NJ I got hit directly on the door bars by Johnathan Castro at about a 50 mph difference in speed. I would have been hospitalized if my head wasn't contained," DeNofa told The Drive.
For more details, check out Chelsea DeNofa's How to Not Die Drifting!! video below.
- RELATEDVaughn Gittin Jr. and Chelsea DeNofa Unveil 2018 Mustang RTR Formula Drift CompetitorsThe 2018 Mustangs are ready to hit the Formula D season-opener at Long Beach this weekend.READ NOW
- RELATEDFormula Drift Drivers Chelsea DeNofa and Vaughn Gittin Jr. Tandem Drift and Give Ride-AlongsDeNofa and Gittin Jr. played with a pair of Mustangs at the recent Pennzoil 400 NASCAR race.READ NOW
- RELATEDLearn How Formula Drift Driver Chelsea DeNofa Became a Professional DrifterFormula Drift driver Chelsea DeNofa sits down and tells us the backstory of his drifting career.READ NOW
- RELATEDFormula Drift Driver Chelsea DeNofa Shows You How to Buy a Drift CarFormula Drift Driver Chelsea DeNofa goes through everything you should look for when buying a drift car.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch Vaughn Gittin Jr. and Chelsea DeNofa Drift 1,000-HP Ford MustangsBoth Ford Mustang RTRs will compete in the 2017 Formula DRIFT season.READ NOW