Former Formula 1 Test Driver Ma Qing Hua Will Make World Rallycross Debut
Ma drives in the World Touring Car Championship and Formula E and will try his hand at the World Rallycross Championship in Barcelona.
Ma Qing Hua, a former Formula 1 test driver, drove Formula 1 cars for both the HRT Formula 1 Team in 2012 and the Caterham F1 Team in 2013. Recently, Ma has been driving in the World Touring Car Championship becoming the first-ever Chinese driver to win a FIA World Championship race. He has also spent time driving in Formula E. Now, Ma will make his debut in the opening round of the 2018 World Rallycross Championship in Barcelona.
Ma will not only be making his own personal debut in the race series, he will become the first ever Chinese driver to race in the World Rallycross Championship at Barcelona when he drives for Manfred Stohl's STARD team. Ma will be driving alongside the STARD team's full-time driver Janis Baumanis.
"The Supercar is definitely a monster. The acceleration is amazing but more than that, I feel the car more impressed me even more in the corners," Ma told Motorsport. "The grip level is much more than you expect and the handling of the car is more manageable than a single seater or front-wheel drive because usually if we are sideways that means something horrible is happening, but here it's every corner."
Ma previously tested the team's Ford Fiesta rally car in Austria and France and he won't run World Rallycross full-time, due to Formula E racing commitments. It's a good time to be a race fan with so many drivers crossing over from different driving disciplines.
- RELATEDVW-Backed World Rallycross Championship Team Reveals New Polo RHot from the 2017 season when it won the Drivers' and Teams' Championships, the PXRX Volkswagen Sweden team unveiled its Polo R race car.READ NOW
- RELATEDAndreas Bakkerud Announces Deal With EKS World Rallycross TeamWith Ford leaving the sport, Ken Block's ex-teammate announces who he will be driving for in the 2018 World Rallycross Championship season.READ NOW
- RELATEDDriver Simon Pagenaud Wants to Switch to Rallying After IndyCarPagenaud now wants to take on the Monte Carlo Rally.READ NOW
- RELATEDRed Bull Global Rallycross Releases 2018 Season ScheduleWith 12 rounds at eight locations, the 2018 Red Bull GRC season sets up to be a great one.READ NOW
- RELATEDWorld Rallycross Championship To Go Electric?The series will reportedly electrify in 2020, but the current Supercars will not be going away, either.READ NOW