Best Car Seat Cushions: More Comfort on Long Rides
Relieve stress and pain in your back with these top three car seat cushions
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Long car rides can be exhausting. When sitting in a vehicle for long distances, you may get uncomfortable after some time. A prolonged, fixed sitting position causes stress on your muscles and bones and can cause back pain. That's why a cushion is such a useful accessory and an excellent upgrade to a car seat. To help you find the best car seat cushion to keep you comfortable and relieve back pain on the road, we offer these top picks.
This car seat cushion is an excellent option for vehicle and office use. It's highly portable, so you can bring it with you wherever you go. It relieves pressure on the tailbone and reduces back pain. It also promotes good posture and ensures comfort.
The memory foam seat cushion is ergonomically designed and recommended by doctors. The high-density padding and unique contour surface distribute body weight accordingly on the seat or the chair. The anti-slip bottom ensures stability. Features machine-washable and breathable mesh cover.
It might be larger than expected. Not suitable for smaller seats. It could leave some marks on the car seat.
This cushion is designed to relieve back pain and promote good posture. It's easy to put on any seat or chair, and rather comfortable. The lightweight design makes it versatile and perfect for on-the-go situations. Ideal for sciatica pain.
The U-shaped ergonomic cushion significantly improves the driving experience. It's made of high-quality materials and features high-grade memory foam for additional support. It has a removable and machine-washable cover. The non-slip rubber bottom prevents the cushion from moving on the seat.
It might be too stiff at first, and too small for some people. The cover is not of the best quality.
This is an excellent combo coming from U-Are. The set includes a lumbar pillow and a seat cushion. Both pieces fit almost any office chair and car seat. They are designed to provide ultimate comfort during long rides and prevent lower back pain.
These memory foam cushions provide additional support to promote good posture and prove to be very comfortable. Features unique shape and non-slip bottom for more stability on the seat. The lumbar support has a breathable mesh cover. Easy to use and clean. Adjustable straps.
It might flatten out faster than other options. Some might find it too firm. The straps are not long enough for bigger chairs.
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Car Seat Cushions
- Comfort. Long drives can show just how uncomfortable your car seat is. You may end up with bottom sores and leg pain that may sneak up to your back. Car seat cushions typically provide extra support to your back and help relieve pressure from your hips to give you a more enjoyable ride.
- Maintain good posture. Orthopedic car seat cushions can help correct your driving posture. They typically feature anatomical cutouts and a wedge structure for healthy alignment of your spine and bottom. This translates to a good sitting posture since your weight is distributed evenly on the seat.
- Improved blood flow. When you sit in one position for a prolonged time, blood pools in your legs and they may feel weak when you need to stand. A seat cushion improves your anatomical alignment and blood circulation throughout your body.
- Portable. Most car seat cushions come in small sizes that can fit in your carrying bag. When folded, the good ones don’t flatten out or lose their shape. You can, therefore, carry them wherever you need extra comfort, such as on planes or to your office.
Types of Car Seat Cushions
The most common material used to make seat cushions is memory foam. It can feel hard for petite people, but it’s great at conforming to the shape of your bottom for extra comfort. Memory foam cushions are recommended for people who normally sit for long hours since it’s effective at relieving strain exerted on the back. However, it’s known to heat up because that’s how it maintains the impression of your sitting position.
A softer option for lighter people is shredded foam, which is made up of shredded pieces of memory foam. The cushion feels lumpy, and the pillow is moldable since the pieces of foam move around independently. It’s also less prone to overheating. However, you need to fluff the pillow to align the foam pieces.
Bamboo charcoal is eco-friendly, soft, breathable, and comfortable. The material helps with moisture absorption, so you don’t have to worry about leaving sweat marks on the seat. It’s also effective at neutralizing odors and has antibacterial features. For that reason, it’s more expensive than other options.
Xtreme Comforts, based in New York, specializes in making comfortable seat cushions, neck pillows, and throw blankets. Its products are designed to give consumers a better travel experience and relieve pain associated with sitting for a prolonged period. Some of its best orthopedic cushions are the Xtreme Comforts Coccyx Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion and Xtreme Comforts Large Seat Cushion.
Fortem has been making a wide range of car accessories to improve user comfort since its inception in 2016. It’s a New York-based company that specializes in car organizers, digital tire pressure gauges, car vacuums, car seat covers, and car seat cushions. Some of its premium quality cushions are the Fortem Seat Cushion and Fortem Lumbar Support Back Pillow.
Aylio is a leading manufacturer of pressure-relief cushions and exercise bands and is based in Miami, Florida. Max Krishtul founded the company in 2008 and has been delivering great designs and services to the wellness industry ever since. Some of its best pain relief cushions are the Aylio Coccyx Orthopedic Comfort Foam Seat Cushion and Socket Seat Memory Foam Sit Bone Relief Cushion.
Car Seat Cushions Pricing
- Under $25: Budget this much for a lightweight and portable cushion. While most don’t come with frills like odor absorption properties, you will find products that don’t slip or slide around your car seat. Also, most have 3D ventilation mesh covers that promote breathability and effectively absorb sweat.
- Over $50: Expect to find some high-quality orthopedic cushions designed for long drives within this price range. Most of the cushions sport soft covers, highly absorbent foam, and breathable material that keeps your bottom cool throughout the drive. Also, most are about 2.5 inches thick and don’t flatten out easily.
The foam density determines the maximum weight capacity that the cushion can handle before it flattens out permanently. Some manufacturers don’t indicate the weight capacity, but you can tell how much it can handle from how thick it is. For instance, a three-inch-thick heavy-duty foam is denser than a two-inch one. It can, therefore, take on a heavier weight.
Depending on the manufacturer, some cushion covers are waterproof and others are water absorbent. A waterproof cover can be beneficial for short drives if you don’t want to ruin the foam with a spill from a drink. However, it can leave sweat marks on your clothes. For long drives, or if you get sweaty often, prioritize water-absorbent covers that you can air dry after a journey.
Compare the size of your car seat to the cushion you want to buy. You don’t want something that’s hanging over the car seat since it will push at your knee pit and make you uncomfortable. Also, if you have a continuous driver and passenger seat, you can get a wider seat cushion to cover both as long as it fits.
- Stability: Choose a cushion with an anti-slip bottom, meaning it will stay firm on the seat no matter how restless you get. If not, it should at least come with straps that secure on your car seat for a snug fit.
- Breathability: This is a measure of how well air flows in the cushion even after you sit on it to help cool your bottom. A memory foam cushion with a cotton mesh cover is the best for optimal breathability.
- Cleaning: You need a cushion that’s easy to clean in case you spill a drink on it or it starts to stink. Choose one with a removable, machine washable cover and breathable foam that can air dry in a short time.
Best Car Seat Cushions Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- Consider the level of support you need from a seat pad. If you want to prevent minor pains when driving for long periods, you can go with soft ones. If you suffer from severe back problems such as sciatica, scoliosis, or herniated discs, you should try firmer cushions with high-density memory foam.
- Most car seat cushions are designed to fit every vehicle type. Nevertheless, you should check the dimensions before the purchase to make sure that a cushion will fit your particular car type.
- When searching for the best cushion, consider an ergonomic design. That includes the breathability of the cover, stability, and unique contour shape. All these features ensure back pain relief.
- You'll be washing a cushion quite often, so look for the one that has easy-to-clean materials. Ideally, it will have a removable cover you can take off and put back on with ease.
Q: What are car seat cushions?
A: They are accessories designed to provide support for your back while driving. The supporting cushions relieve stress on your muscles and spine and prevent tailbone pain. They also ensure more comfort in general, especially on long drives. The installation is rather simple, you only need to put a cushion on the seat and tighten the straps (if provided).
Q: How do car seat cushions work?
A: The main reason why car seats are uncomfortable is the lack of padding. They don't provide enough lumbar support, which leads you to take an unnatural position while driving. Cushions come in unique shapes and with extra padding to give additional support and promote good posture. They relieve stress on the tailbone (or coccyx) by ensuring you remain in a proper position while driving.
Q: How do you clean car seat cushions?
A: Keep in mind that car seat cushions are not waterproof and machine-washable. The only part that might be is the cover, and that depends on the product type. Check the product's description before you take any action. If the cover is not removable, you can use some mild soap and lukewarm water for spot cleaning.
Xtreme Comforts Coccyx Orthopedic Memory Foam Seat Cushion is our top pick. It’s a high-quality car cushion that provides excellent back support and ensures comfort on the road.
For those who are on a limited budget, we recommend Fortem Seat Cushion, a versatile accessory that can be used in car seats and office chairs.