Best Batteries for Car Audio: Top Picks to Power Your System
These top car batteries ensure that you never run out of power even with the music blasting
TheDrive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Preinstalled car batteries are designed to power the basic functions of your car and a few accessories. High-end sound systems need more power to run efficiently without causing harm to the vehicle. A dedicated car audio battery will improve sound clarity and make sure you never run out of juice. This buying guide includes three of the top car audio battery options available.
- Best OverallXS Power D3400 XS SeriesSummarySummaryThis XS Power battery provides a high level of power that’s long-lasting. It has a sturdy design and is sealed and spill-proof.ProsProsThis battery is versatile and can be mounted in multiple positions. It also has low internal resistance and can work in cold weather conditions.ConsConsThe price can be expensive compared to many competitors, and at 48 pounds it is very heavy.
- Best ValueKinetik HC600SummarySummaryThe Kinetik can be used as a standard car battery or to power a high-performance sound system.ProsProsThe battery comes at an affordable price. Because it is sealed, it can be mounted in a variety of positions.ConsConsIt's not a very high-capacity battery, and two may be required for more powerful sound systems.
- Honorable MentionOptima Batteries 8014-045 D34/78SummarySummaryThis battery has a reserve capacity of 120 minutes and can last approximately 300-plus discharge/charge cycles.ProsProsThe Optima battery works well in all weather conditions and is known for its high level of vibration resistance.ConsConsThis battery may fail after a couple of years of heavy use. It is also highly specialized and may be incompatible with some audio systems.
- It’s best to choose a maintenance-free battery to make your life easier. They are normally sealed and don’t require the user to add any liquid for it to work properly.
- Always ensure that your battery has enough reserve capacity to run for at least a couple of hours. This is particularly important if you intend to use your car audio without the engine running.
- Redtop batteries work well with most vehicles that don’t have high electrical loads. Yellowtop batteries are better for cars with many electrical features, including amplifiers and speakers.
- Since batteries are heavy, having a handle or loop can make it much easier to lift and install.
Q: Why does car audio need a dedicated battery?
A: Regular batteries are designed to start the engine and other basic functions. Advanced car audio systems draw significantly more power and require a battery that will allow for the best quality sound without harming a vehicle’s electrical components.
Q: Why should the battery be vibration resistant?
A: Sophisticated car sound systems normally have a strong bass that can cause the car to vibrate. Constant vibrations can cause damage to regular batteries that aren’t built to take it
Q: Do car audio batteries have a warranty?
A: The lifespan of a car battery can vary according to the quality, or even how it has been used. Good quality batteries have a warranty of around three years to safeguard the buyer from any defects.
Our pick for the best battery for car audio is the XS Power D3400 XS Series. It provides a high level of power and is long-lasting.
For a more budget-friendly option, try the Kinetik HC600.