Best Motorcycle Earbuds: Crank Up the Music on Your Next Ride
These top motorcycle earbuds are comfortable, reliable, and affordable.
The Drive and its partners may earn a commission if you purchase a product through one of our links. Read more.
Sometimes when you ride, you want some music to accompany the trip. If you don't have a Bluetooth-enabled helmet or speakers on your bike, you need a set of high-quality earbuds to listen to your favorite tunes. They should be low profile and comfortably designed so you don't have to fuss with them when you're riding. Many different kinds of motorcycle earbuds are available in stores and online. If you're not sure which ones are best, check out our buying guide below.
These earbuds are designed to offer exceptional sound clarity across all frequency ranges. They are also lightweight enough to offer a comfortable fit.
- Designed with a waterproof barrier against rain and sweat
- They lock in the ears and won’t fall off even if you are running
- Exceptional bass
- Only offers five hours of wireless playtime
- No volume controls
- They stick out from the ears
These earbuds fit in your ear without being noticeable and are ergonomically designed to fit the shape of your ear canal. They are compatible with most Bluetooth-enabled devices.
- Tiny and low profile,
- Easy to set up
- They fit snugly inside your ears under the helmet
- You can hear clearly at highway speeds
- Battery life is not very long
- Challenging to use with phone calls because the connection may break in and out
- Bluetooth range is not very good
These Bluetooth wireless earbuds provide eight hours of playback time, take one hour to charge, and are waterproof, sweatproof, and lightweight. The ear tips are soft and comfortable.
- You don't have to worry about losing the earbuds when removing your helmet
- Sound is loud and clear, the alto and treble are bright, and the bass is powerful
- They may not work with a half helmet or pair with all devices
- Magnetic snap can be awkward to use
- Cord may inhibit a proper fit
Why Trust Us
All of our reviews are based on market research, expert input, or practical experience with most products we include. This way, we offer genuine, accurate guides to help you find the best picks.
Benefits of Motorcycle Earbuds
- Block wind noise. The wind can be loud, distracting, and uncomfortable when you're riding a motorcycle. A good pair of under-helmet earbuds will reduce the noise so it's less of a distraction.
- Play your favorite tunes. Many bikers enjoy listening to music while they're cruising around town or touring the country. You can connect them to your phone or other device and enjoy your favorite songs with just the press of a button.
- Communicate with others. If you need to talk on the phone or communicate with other members in your group, a good pair of earbuds will enable you to do so. Many sets come with a microphone so you can answer phone calls from friends and family members.
Types of Motorcycle Earbuds
These days, a lot of earbuds are Bluetooth enabled. The best Bluetooth earbuds for motorcycle riding allow you to ride carefree without worrying about wires that may pull, tug, tangle, or get in the way. This is crucial because you don't want to fiddle with your earbud's wiring while you're trying to concentrate on the road.
One of the advantages of wired earbuds is that they tend to be less expensive. In addition, you don’t have to worry about battery life, and they are compatible with nearly any device that has a headphone jack. The downside, however, is that if the cable is too short, it may be hard to ride with them attached to your device. Plus, they may pull free from your phone or MP3 player if you make big or sudden movements.
While not earbuds per se, this type of technology is worth mentioning. Bluetooth motorcycle helmets are very popular, particularly among those who ride frequently with groups and need an easy way of communicating with other riders. Some helmets include a Bluetooth device, while others require you to purchase it separately. These helmets allow you to stream music, listen to navigation directions, and use an intercom system with your friends. They can be expensive, but they provide the best clarity when it comes to audio quality. They’re also comfortable, as you don’t have to cope with earbuds sticking inside your ear canal.
Based in Massachusetts, audio equipment company Bose has been in business since 1964. It makes a variety of earbuds and headphones as well as speakers and audio sunglasses. We recommend the Bose QuietComfort and Bose Sport Earbuds.
Based in Park City, Utah, Skullcandy makes a variety of earbuds, headphones, and accessories. The company caters to emerging artists and athletes alike with its range of products. Check out the Skullcandy Sesh Evo True Wireless In-Ear Earbud.
Avantree was founded in 2004 and is based in San Jose, Calif. The company designs high-quality smartphone and tablet-based Bluetooth accessories for the world's most popular gadgets. We recommend its Avantree Apico Mini Bluetooth Earbud.
Founded in 2005, JLab’s mission is to enhance consumer’s lives with incredible sound, inspired design, and innovative technology. The company launched in 2005 and is based in Carlsbad, Calif. One of its top products is the JLab Audio JBuds Air True Wireless Signature Bluetooth Earbuds.
Shure Radio Company was founded in 1925 in downtown Chicago. The company has been making premium microphones and audio equipment ever since. One of its most popular, noise-canceling products is the Shure SE215-CL Sound Isolating Earphones with Single Dynamic MicroDriver.
Motorcycle Earbuds Pricing
- Under $20: You can find various types of earbuds for less than $20, but many of them will have wires, and they won’t necessarily be geared specifically towards motorcycling.
- $20 to $50: You can find some Bluetooth-enabled earbuds in this price range. Some may be bulkier than others and lack some of the features provided by more expensive options.
- $50 to $100: The best wireless earbuds for motorcycle riding will have a premium price tag. These Bluetooth-compatible units are generally more durable, reliable, and have a longer battery life than cheaper devices. Some products even exceed this price range but aren’t necessarily better overall.
One of the most important features when it comes to motorcycle earbuds is finding a pair that feels comfortable both with or without a helmet. When you're wearing the best earbuds for motorcycle riding, you should feel little to no discomfort. If they don't feel right, it can be distracting, which can be dangerous.
If you ride your motorcycle in various types of weather conditions, you will need a pair of earbuds that can withstand the elements. Check to see if the product is water-resistant so it can endure the rain. Also, if you ride on bumpy roads, you will need a pair that is shockproof so they can withstand all sorts of vibrations.
While you may be tempted to buy cheap motorcycle earbuds, they may not last as long as more expensive brands. Choose a product that is solid in structure and materials and that will hold up over time. Avoid flimsy earbuds because you will probably need to replace them after a short period of use.
- Low Profile. Low profile earbuds for helmets tend to be more comfortable than the average earbud. Low profile earbuds seamlessly grip your ears and don't stick out. A helmet can put pressure on your ears, and if the earbuds don't fit correctly or are bulky, they will cause discomfort.
- Special Features. Certain brands of biker earbuds have featured such as noise cancellation and noise isolation. Some are sweatproof or have radio functions that allow you to listen to the news as well as music. Other earbuds provide separate power buttons and volume control for more versatility.
Best Motorcycle Earbuds Reviews & Recommendations 2021
- When selecting a pair of earbuds, look for a product that provides several fittings so you can adjust the size so they are comfortable (and won’t fall out) no matter how small or large your ear canals are.
- Ensure the Bluetooth earpieces are compatible with your iPhone, iPad, Android, or other electronic devices before you purchase them.
- Remember that earbuds can be used on and off your motorcycle. If you purchase sweat-resident earbuds, you can wear them to the gym or when you’re working in the yard.
- For the best audio experience, be sure to clean your ears regularly, using approved wax removal methods or by consulting a physician. Avoid using Q tips because they can damage your ears.
- Make sure your earbuds and your hands are clean when you insert the product into your ear canal to prevent bacteria from forming. This can lead to an infection.
- It's a good idea to remove your earbuds every few hours so your ears can rest for a little while. Also, be aware that people with sensitive skin or allergies may be irritated by products with rubber ear tips.
Q: Is it legal to wear earbuds while riding a motorcycle?
Every state has different laws, so check in advance before wearing your earbuds while riding. Some states allow you to wear helmets with built-in speakers but prohibit earbuds. Other states permit the use of one earbud instead of two.
Q: What if my device doesn’t pair with my Bluetooth motorcycle earbuds?
First, double-check that you followed the instructions properly. Some earbuds pair with mobile devices easily and automatically, while others may require more effort. Also, make sure the equipment is compatible.
Q: Can I talk to someone when I'm on a motorcycle, or will the earbuds just pick up the noise of the bike?
You can talk to another person while you're on your motorcycle, but you need a product with a microphone. Some earbuds cancel noise better than others, which is important because the wind and the bike's pipes can get quite loud. If making phone calls is essential, we recommend purchasing a helmet that’s equipped with or compatible with Bluetooth speakers. Many come with built-in headphones, which is convenient because you don’t need to purchase the equipment separately.
Our pick for the best motorcycle earbuds is the Anker Soundcore Liberty Neo Wireless Earbuds. They are lightweight, comfortable, and produce exceptional sound.
For a more budget-friendly pick, consider the Avantree Apico Mini Bluetooth Earbud.