2018 Jeep Wrangler May Offer a Power Retractable Hardtop
Spy shots indicate switches on the roof, possibly for a Jeep Renegade-like MySky system.
Spy shots of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler hint at the possibility of a fascinating new retractable roof, according to sources in the know. Although the pictures are a little blurry and distant, you can see some intriguing switches on the roof that may hint at power options. The roof also appears to be a little bulkier than previous models.
Latches on the ceiling of the cabin indicate that the 2018 Jeep Wrangler seems to have a multi-faceted roof like the Freedom Top and possibly the Renegade’s MySky roof (depicted in the video below). Based on the photos, the top of this Jeep could use both a manually-operated and powered roof retraction system. Even though reliable sources on the JL Wrangler Forums have suggested that the hypothesis regarding a power roof isn’t far off, we can’t confirm this to be the case. For all The Drive knows, the switches seen in spy shots could be for auxiliary lighting.
If Jeep opts to go with a power roof, the Wrangler's weight and cost will definitely increase. That being said, it is rare to find a Jeep Wrangler on the road without some sort of modification (which of course cost money), so we don’t expect a little uptick in price to really affect sales.
- RELATEDThe Hellcat Rhino XT Is a 707-HP Wrangler on SteroidsFresh off a star turn in The Fate of the Furious, custom builder USSV upgrades its newest creation.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch a Jeep Wrangler Push a BMW Into Its Parking SpotWell, it's not like the BMW's driver could've parked it right the first time.READ NOW
- RELATEDNew 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Images LeakedFull images of the hotly-anticipated off-roader landed on a Jeep forum Wednesday morning.READ NOW
- RELATEDWill the Jeep Wrangler Pickup Be Built On a Ram Frame?An FCA expert hypothesizes that the carmaker could have big plans for the Jeep pickup...in more ways than one.READ NOW
- RELATEDWatch This Dirt Bike Land On the Hood Of a Jeep WranglerThe Wrangler cuts in front of the rider just as he get airborne off a massive dune—and a nail-biter ensues.READ NOW