Kia Releases Video A Stinger Drifting During Winter Testing
A 365-horsepower, RWD sedan sounds like a pretty good deal to us.
Korean auto manufacturers have been taking aim at high-performance luxury sedans over the past few years—first with Hyundai’s new Genesis brand, and now the Kia Stinger (which should, frankly, be a Genesis). After the Stinger’s unveiling at the 2017 Detroit Auto Show, The Drive has been eager to learn more about the sleek looking Gran Turismo.
To immerse the car in winter conditions, Kia engineers brought the Stinger to Sweden for winter testing. Operating in temperatures as low as -35 degrees Fahrenheit, engineers are seeing how the electronic chassis components and all-wheel-drive system behave in extreme temperatures. Regardless of what type of testing Kia is doing, we really enjoyed watching the Stinger perform high-speed drifts in the snowy conditions.
According to Kia, the Stinger will go on sale in late 2017 and is expected to have two different engine options. The base model will come with a turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-4 producing 255 horsepower and 260 pound-feet of torque. If you elect for a more powerful option, buyers can get the beefed up twin-turbocharged 3.3-liter V6 that produces 365 horsepower and 376 pound-feet of torque. Both engine options can come in AWD or RWD and both utilize an 8-speed automatic transmission.
- RELATEDIn Detroit, Kia Aims Its Sharp New StingerThe "Stinger" name misses the mark, but a direct connection to BMW's M division raises hopes for a true high-performance Korean import.READ NOW
- RELATEDKia Sexpot to Blend GT and Stinger’s LooksAnd it’ll be complemented by a Ford Fiesta ST rival, too. Egads.READ NOW
- RELATEDGenesis G90 is a Generous and Thoughtful Luxury SedanThe 2017 Genesis G90 exhibits great design choices, top notch materials and good looks inside and out. And the 5.0 Ultimate RWD that we tested also brought the performance, 420 horses from a 5.0-liter V8.READ NOW
- RELATEDNext Porsche 911 Exposed In New Winter Testing VideoA New Evolutionary Design From Porsche Coming SoonREAD NOW
- RELATEDThe New Lamborghini Huracan Spyder RWD Is the Most Emotional Huracan YetThe same aural delight and windblown exhilaration, now with more oversteer.READ NOW