Police Looking for Idiot in Jeep Wrangler Who Destroyed Philly Nature Trail, Ran Over Turtle
Some of the damage done to the park's trails, including physical property, is irreversible.
Police are on the hunt for the driver of a Jeep Wrangler who vandalized a hiking trail by illegally off-roading at the Schuylkill Center for Environmental Education in Philadelphia. Staff spoke to ABC6 who said witnesses at the center spotted the Jeep on one of its prominent walking trails, not once, but twice.
According to reports, the Jeep was left abandoned after it attempted to cross through deep and thick mud, getting stuck in the process. Sadly, several toads and even a turtle were run over by the driver, with none of the animals surviving the attack.
"I was really taken back by the amount of damage that was done," the Director of Land and Facilities at the wildlife preserve Steve Goin told ABC6. "They really knew that they were in the wrong place.”
Officials at the park first witnessed the Jeep joyriding on the trails on March 29. Then the Jeep returned for a second attempt on April 7, which is when it got stuck. The Jeep, however, was supposedly recovered by the driver as it was no longer there on April 8.
The Schuylkill Center where the incident occurred is about 30 minutes north of Center City, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, running along the Schuylkill River and Interstate 76. The trail is only open to foot traffic. No public motor vehicles are allowed, including bicycles.
Police are counting on witnesses to come forward in hopes that the driver can be held responsible.
- RELATEDJeep Wrangler Driver Flees Scene After Running Over Sunbathing Beach-Goer in FloridaAfter leaving tire marks on the victim's leg, the Jeep driver drove away and remains at large.READ NOW
- RELATED2020 Jeep Gladiator Pickup Truck Costs Less to Lease Per Month Than Your Morning CoffeeAt $143 per month for two years, leasing the Jeep Gladiator seems like a stellar deal.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon New Dad Review: The Little Big Man of Off-Road TrucksThe classic Jeep is all about balancing family with unpaved pursuits.READ NOW
- RELATEDChicago Police Shuts Down Street After Spotting Suspicious Chef Boyardee 'RC Car'Eventually deemed to be a design class prototype, the rolling noodle can was apparently mistaken for some type of bomb.READ NOW
- RELATEDThieves Still on the Run After Repeatedly Stealing Wheels Off Police Cars in MississippiStealing to sell or a vendetta against the police? Either way, after multiple reported thefts there aren't any suspects.READ NOW