Audi is Developing an Entry-Level, Mass-Market Electric Hatchback: Report
The unnamed compact Audi EV will reportedly utilize the modular electric vehicle platform of its parent company, Volkswagen.
Audi officials have reportedly promised that a compact electric vehicle—whose concept will debut in a matter of months—is on the way. Design lead Andreas Mindt alluded to the vehicle in an interview at the 2018 Los Angeles Auto Show.
"There are a lot of people out there who just want a good looking car, they are not interested if it's an EV or a conventionally powered car—in a couple of months we will show you a first draft," Mindt told Auto Express. "You can design for the early adopters or you can design for the mainstream customer as well—we want to catch both."
"A super sports car that is low and wide is easy to design, like a penalty shot without a goalkeeper but an electric car that is low and sleek is a harder task," continued Mindt. "To make a small car look nice which is cheap for mass production is a very hard task."
Audi's unnamed small EV will be built on the MEB platform designed by Audi's parent company, Volkswagen Auto Group. MEB is an acronym whose German meaning approximately translated to English means "modular electric toolkit." The platform will also underpin all of Volkswagen's mass-market electric vehicles, such as the I.D. hatchback, which will be revealed in production-ready form in 2019. Volkswagen's retro-themed I.D. Buzz electric microbus and the corresponding work van concept are also built on the MEB foundation.
Audi will bring its first mass-produced electric vehicle to market in early 2019 in the form of its E-tron crossover. The Porsche Taycan-based E-tron GT will follow in 2020 and, presumably, the hatchback sometime around then.
- RELATEDAudi Could Finally Move Away From Huge Grilles On the Front of Their CarsIt appears design chief Andreas Mindt has different ideas for the future faces of Audi cars.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Audi E-tron GT Is Bringing the High-Performance Electric Car Fight to TeslaIngolstadt's plan to take on the Silicon Valley EV leader includes this Audi Sport beauty.READ NOW
- RELATEDAudi Designs RSQ e-tron Electric Supercar for Upcoming Animated Movie Starring Will SmithThe futuristic auto will star as Smith's noble steed in 'Spies in Disguise.'READ NOW
- RELATEDAston Martin Reveals Electric DB6 Volante as Conceptual EV ConversionAston Martin says it wants to future-proof customers' cars with conversions into electric vehicles. The process is fully reversible, of course.READ NOW
- RELATEDWhite House Will Seek Ending Electric Car Subsidies, Says Top AdviserThe phase-out could happen sometime between 2021 and 2022.READ NOW