Lexus Rumored to Be Working on 661-HP Lamborghini Urus Fighter
The super-crossover will reportedly arrive in 2020 with more horsepower and a lower price than the Lamborghini Urus.
Lexus is reportedly planning a high-performance crossover for reveal in 2020, with the intent to rival the Lamborghini Urus.
The vehicle is reported to be a new Lexus flagship platform, based on the LF-1 Limitless concept that debuted in January, according to Japanese publication Spyder7. Base models will reportedly be powered by the 3.5-liter, twin-turbo V6 from the Lexus LS 500, retuned to make 424 horsepower (430 ps). This engine could reportedly join forces with two electric motors to produce even more power and boost fuel economy.
A high-performance "F" version of the crossover could allegedly be powered by the same 4.0-liter, twin-turbo V8 expected to propel the rumored LC F. In the LF-1 F, as we'll call it, this engine will reportedly make 661 horsepower (670 ps), or enough to win the on-paper war with the 641-horsepower Lamborghini Urus by 20 hp. The LF-1 F is alleged to have the Lamborghini beaten on pricepoint, too, with a projected cost of around $150,000 USD to the Urus' $200,000.
This flagship model's premiere is claimed to be scheduled for 2020, and its market launch for 2021.
Lamborghini has yet to release an official lap time for the Urus around Germany's Nürburgring, which automakers treat as the yardstick for performance vehicles, though test mules of the vehicle were spotted on the track, meaning it isn't without a time to release. If the Lexus LF-1 F's handling is comparable to that of the Urus, it may have little to fear either on road or on track, though whether it can take down the Mercedes-AMG GLC 63 S's 7:49.4 on the Nürburgring remains to be seen—if Lexus is indeed whipping up such a vehicle. We won't know for sure until 2020.
The Drive contacted Lexus for comment on the supposed new model, but the automaker declined to issue a statement, citing its policy against commenting on potential future products.
- RELATEDRace-Only Lamborghini Urus ST-X Unveiled With 641 HP and Competition-Spec EquipmentThe Urus ST-X weighs 25 percent less than the standard version and will take part in a spec racing championship across Europe and the Middle East.READ NOW
- RELATEDSUV Showdown: Lamborghini Urus Races Tesla Model X, Range Rover SVR, and Mercedes-AMG G63No grocery bags were damaged in the making of this drag race.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Maserati Levante GTS Review: Nothing Wrong With This Crossover a Ferrari V8 Can't CureFerrari-engined Levante GTS, Trofeo models rival Porsche's Cayenne Turbos in price, sure—but also in performance.READ NOW
- RELATED2019 Jaguar E-Pace R-Dynamic Review: A Punchy Little Crossover Getting By on Looks and CharmIn a category of awkward, not-quite-convenient big-small cars, it's hard to rub the shine off the charismatic E-Pace.READ NOW
- RELATEDMercedes-AMG GLC 63 S Just Murdered Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio's Nurburgring Lap RecordAn onboard camera facing the racing driver shows just how hard he was pushing through the Green Hell's tricky corners.READ NOW