Don't Expect the Toyota Supra and BMW Z4 to Drive The Same
Apparently, Toyota's 'pure sports car' will offer little in the way of comfort and practicality.
The folks at Motoring Research recently spoke to Supra Chief Engineer Tetsuya Tada (who's resume notably includes the 86/BRZ) at the 24 Hours of Le Mans and discussed what drivers can expect from Toyota's new sports car. While the Supra will use the same powertrain and sit on the same platform as BMW's next roadster, the two cars won't be badge-twins like the Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ.
"Each company defined what we wanted and went from there," Tada told Motoring Research. "Both cars have completely different suspension and software calibration, for example."
The Toyota engineer goes on to say that the new Supra "will be a pure sports car—practicality and comfort were almost not considered." Better keep the chiropractor on speed dial, then.
As for whether or not a hotted-up, Gazoo-branded Supra is in the pipeline, the report says it won't be available at the car's launch but likely sometime in the future with Tada confirming that such a car is indeed being thought out. "I would like to see something like that eventually," says Tada. "We are preparing for it."
Toyota's Gazoo Racing department recently confirmed that it will produce a hypercar based on its Le Mans-winning TS050 Hybrid racer. Between that and the Supra, the GR family is about to get a lot bigger—and faster.
We've reached out to Toyota for further comment and will update this story if we hear back. The production-ready, Mk5 Toyota Supra is set to debut in early 2019.
UPDATE [06/21/2018]: In an email to The Drive, a Toyota spokesperson adds that "each company ultimately determines how to infuse their characteristic 'seasoning' into the performance of their respective products."
- RELATED2019 BMW Z4 Enters Production in Q4, Toyota Supra Reportedly With ItWe know when the 2019 BMW Z4 will start production, and when it will be in showrooms, but what of its Toyota Supra platform-mate?READ NOW
- RELATEDToyota Supra to Campaign in NASCAR Xfinity Series, Report SaysWord is Toyota will pit the Supra against the Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro in NASCAR next year.READ NOW
- RELATEDBMW Drops Z4 Prototype Shots, Discusses M40i VariantBMW clarifies how the Z4 and its M Performance variant will differ.READ NOW
- RELATEDYou Can Now Drive the Toyota GR Supra Racing Concept in Gran Turismo SportThe production-ready real thing will drop in early 2019.READ NOW
- RELATEDProduction Toyota Supra Confirmed to Get Early 2019 RevealThe new Supra will feature a perfect 50/50 weight distribution and take power increases better than the 86.READ NOW