Who Are the Most Important People in the Automotive World?
In a special Drive 50 episode of AFTER/DRIVE, our panel discusses the CEOs, YouTube princes, politicians, brainiacs and other auto influencers who matter.
"Influencer" is one of the more awkward coinages of the decade, but in the automotive world, it means something. An influencer is the CEO whose decisions send the industry reeling, the celebrity whose tastes dictate our own, a social media star able to mobilize millions, or a driver whose charisma and skill renew passion in motorsports. In short: who matters? The Drive brought together five of its best minds (and/or five of its loudest voices) for a lively discussion of the big players in a year when the industry is on track to sell 17 million cars—for the most part, really good ones.
Alex Roy leads the charge with a self-nomination, but ultimately the crew—a trio of Mikes, one Lawrence, an Alex—expands the list, hitting on people as diverse as futuristic playboy industrialist Elon Musk, stunt, drift and rally driver Ken Block, and General Motors CEO Mary Barra. In the cavernous Drive garage, questions like Is American engineering still a dominant global force? and Will our automotive future be hydrogen or electric? and Why are folks so mad about Lawrence's Cayman GT4 review? abound, as well as scores of mostly-legitimate answers. Sit back and watch—then, hop online and help us out.
- RELATEDThe Drive 50: The 50 Most Influential People in CarsMeet the prime movers in the automotive world today.READ NOW
- RELATEDThe Drive 50’s Social Media Power PollChoose your favorite social media stars from this list of 25.READ NOW
- RELATEDWas Graham Hill's Mustache the Secret to His F1 Glory?Chris Cantle tests his lap times with, and without F1 great Graham Hill's iconic mustache.READ NOW
- RELATEDEnter The DrakanYou don't want a race car for the street. You want this.READ NOW
- RELATEDWe Tracked the Fastest SUV in the WorldThe 600-HP Bentley Bentayga comes alive at Lime Rock Park.READ NOW